• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Concealed Carry Belt/Holster Review

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So, I recently switched my EDC weapon and consequently, had to modify my carrying rig a bit. In the search for what might work a little better I ended up with two new components and thought I'd give you guys a quick review.

Holster: Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC
I decided to carry my slightly larger EDC (Glock 36...all you haters, go on and hate) in an IWB setup. In my experience, with these, you largely get what you pay for. There don't seem to be many IWB free lunches. This isn't really any exception. I can't say that it's a bargain exactly, although it is a bit cheaper than the Crossbreed Supertuck/Desantis/Custom leather jobs...that are often recommended. That said, it's a really solid piece of gear. Comp-Tac does something really smart with their kydex pieces, making them interchangeable on the leather backer...as a result, if I decide to carry one of my other CCW, all I need to buy is the appropriate kydex piece at about 1/4 the price of a new holster. I am also really impressed with the adjustability of this holster. The clips allow the holster to be adjusted both for cant and depth of carry enabling you to really tweak your draw and concealment. Additionally, retention is adjustable via a tension screw on the kydex. Comfort is quite good...the back is lined...so no rivets etc...digging into your muffin-top...you know it's there...don't lie. Standard clips have provided great retention of the holster on the draw so far through several range sessions and about 3 weeks of constant carry. Nice piece of gear. 85$ direct from Comp-Tac.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Belt: Wilderness Tactical Instructor 5 stitch
Probably the most under appreciated piece of gear for IWB carry is the belt. A good one can make a mediocre holster great and a bad one make a great holster terrible. I had originally intended to go leather and pick something up from either Crossbreed or The Belt Man...I was seriously put off by 1) the cost. ~120$ for what I was after and 2) The wait. Average time to delivery was about 6 weeks from either of these folks. For $120 belt, that was unacceptable.

Long story short, I'm glad that the wait dissuaded me, because this is the best EDC belt I've ever used. Super rigid top to bottom for nearly no twist. The closure system allows for infinite (within the range of adjustment) tweaking of fit, which is great. Don't want to carry your extra mag carrier today? Belt still fits. Too much turkey at Thanksgiving? Belt still fits. Construction is RIDICULOUSLY overbuilt. The belt buckle itself could be used as a weapon in a pinch and is designed to allow you to (no, I'm not making this up) attach a locking caribiner and perform and emergency lower without a harness. Breaking strength on the belt? 6-8 thousand pounds. Yowsa. Armed and on belay. Some people complain that the belt looks "tactical" and is a dead giveaway that you are carrying. To that, I respond that if someone can see your belt and you are carrying IWB, they can see your holster. In short, not an issue. I leave damn near everything untucked anyway so...non-issue. Best thing about this belt? $44.95, ships in three days. Direct from the manufacturer.

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2309&parent=142

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
If you're worried about the discreet v. overt tacticoolness of the belt, you might consider a Liger Gunbelt. They're much more discrete in appearance, made from the same material as synthetic horse tack, and do not roll when items are hung off them. Ever. I wear one just about everyday, and my only real complaint is that they tend to be a bit warm. They're also sized, so follow the sizing instructions if you order.

I have a high general opinion of Comp-Tac, but I've only used one in USPSA competition and not for EDC.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Ah... why?

Security guards at sports venues and dance clubs, primarily. If they didn't find it, great. If they did, I apologized and went on my way. They only ever found it using a metal detector wand, never via physical frisk.

Edit: I don't want the above to imply that I carry while under the influence. If I'm drinking or going to a place that doesn't allow carry under state/federal law (base, court, post office, etc), the heater stays home.

Security guards at sports venues and dance clubs, primarily. If they didn't find it, great. If they did, I apologized and went on my way. They only ever found it using a metal detector wand, never via physical frisk.

Edit: I don't want the above to imply that I carry while under the influence. If I'm drinking or going to a place that doesn't allow carry under state/federal law (base, court, post office, etc), the heater stays home.
Living in hot climates makes it hard to wear clothing that can conceal weapons. I never know how to get past that

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Living in hot climates makes it hard to wear clothing that can conceal weapons. I never know how to get past that

Uhhhh...I'm typically wearing a T-shirt and jeans...what the hell are you wearing?

mankini-2.jpg

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Are you still using this ITW holster? I just picked up a Glock 27 with the intentions of using it as my concealed carry weapon. I've been looking for a ITW holster that doesn't print too bad and have read many reviews but am still undecided. I'm just wondering if you're still liking it, pro's/con's etc.

I've been carrying my G26 in this holster for nearly five years. While I usually carry it at 3-3:30, I like that I can centerline the holster (right over my nuts) for deep concealment. I've been patted down many times like that and they've never found the firearm.

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...33/INSIDE-THE-WAIST-BAND-HOLSTERS/The-Insider

CAMike

None
Contributor
Scoobers post #9 should have been placed in the "Which Watch" thread.

I wear a horsehide/plastic reinforced belt from The Beltman. It was worth the wait. I also use the SmartCarry holster that accommodates my G36, G30SF, G23 and Kahr PM9. Printing here in CA can be quite a dangerous event. Depending on which county that you're in at the time, it's wise to ensure nobody can make the outline of the weapon.