• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computing NSS Quesstimate

MasterBates

And that .3%, are either Chuck Norris, or my last H3P. (We would not want to insult our H2Ps by calling him one :D )

I checked this against my scores from VT28 in 2002, and it worked out within 1 point. It may change month to month, but it probably fluctuates around a given range.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
The NSS in primary from what i was told by the NAPP O-5 here in the wing is based SOLEY on the previous 200 people who selected before you; that is to say you take those 200 people, plot a bell curve with the peak (mean) being a 50 NSS. Every month that bell curve shifts in either direction based on that previous months selectors ( a month with Chuck Yeager types will lower the NSS for all those who select in the month after them for example).

Using the formula on this forum put me OFF my final NSS by something like 10pts. The quote above is likely a good reason, as a large ground of guys in my squadron who selected right before me had a whole range of 60's. Things will change a great deal depending on how many civilian pilots you have in your squadron in the classes before you.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does knowing your NSS do for you? I don't know if I knew what is was until I selected. I didn't get to chose when I selected. All I know is there were 4 helo slots and 1 E2/C2 slot that week. I got one of the helo slots. I just did the best I could. I watched clowns around me go tactical med down to select the week where they would get jets. They too ended up with helos. Buffoonery.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does knowing your NSS do for you? I don't know if I knew what is was until I selected. I didn't get to chose when I selected. All I know is there were 4 helo slots and 1 E2/C2 slot that week. I got one of the helo slots. I just did the best I could. I watched clowns around me go tactical med down to select the week where they would get jets. They too ended up with helos. Buffoonery.

It's natural to want to know where you stand. I wouldn't expect anything less from a Type-A. A tactical med-down though... that's pretty bad.

In jet advanced, knowing your GPA (not so much NSS, no one really cares about that) is crucial.

MasterBates

Also, about sweating NSS in primary,

1 week, 67 NSS gets you Helos, Helos, or Helos
Next week, 50.00001 gets Jets and 48 E2C2

It is more timing than skill, as long as you do your part. I thought knowing your NSS helped by letting you know you are doing something right (or wrong, as the case may be).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is more timing than skill, as long as you do your part.

Yep, seen plenty of guys with the skill to get selected for jets get sent elsewhere, all due to timing. It's a rough game.

What REALLY pisses me off is what Corpus does (or at least did when I went through Primary). They'll tell studs their "projected NSS" after FAMs... getting them completely wrapped up thinking they actually have a 67 NSS or something. A projected NSS out of FAMs is worth nothing.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't know it was that extreme. I understand.

Yeah... it's a wierd world. Has nothing to do with selection... it has everything to do with whether you'll go mid-stage marginal, end-of-stage marginal, whether or not you'll even wing... and I guess in some degree it does have to do with selection, because you'll know if you're above the average cut... or better yet... you'll know you have buffer room in case your grades slide... and everyones' does.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah... it's a wierd world. Has nothing to do with selection... it has everything to do with whether you'll go mid-stage marginal, end-of-stage marginal, whether or not you'll even wing... and I guess in some degree it does have to do with selection, because you'll know if you're above the average cut... or better yet... you'll know you have buffer room in case your grades slide... and everyones' does.

The Marines worry more about overall NSS due to the Harrier cut, but no one is happy being the back of the pack . . . basically if you don't get a certain number of aboves (net, a below will cancel out a previous above) per stage in jet-land you go marginal for that stage. Ending 3 stages marginal in a single phase is equivalent to an unsat. Ending a phase below 1.5 standard deviations of the mean is ANOTHER unsat. Two unsats or more in phase=PRB. And those of course have bearing on if you wing.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I still don't see why it matters to know what your GPA/NSS is. If you're trying as hard as you can and availing yourself of every resource at your disposal, what good does it do? I'm not trying to be a smartass, so if you feel it helps you, by all means do so. I just felt that knowing my standing would hurt me mentally. If I found out I was doing well, knowing that might make me slack off. If I found out I was doing poorly, I'd be even more stressed out. All I could do at the time was study like hell and get whatever extra sim time I could for practice. I knew what my weak points were, so if the opportunity came up to work on something, I did (like with a cool IP on an x/c).

crateofthunder

Well, I finished up today and am back to back up my original post:

Final Ratio: 1.146
NSS Guestimate: 1.146*400-400=58.4
Actual NSS=64.3
Track Select=T-38s

Use this gouge if you want, if not just for nice to know information!! Best of luck to everyone!!!!!!

KSUFLY

pilot
Can some recent selects share their grade and NSS for their respective squadron? Thanks