• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computer Scientist working in Research/Development Navy Reserve Officer options

Hi, I'm a computer scientist currently working in a research and development role as a civilian government employee for the DoD/Navy (i.e. I work on a Naval Research Base). I am trying to research and discover my possible options for a Direct Commission into the Navy Reserves as an Officer. I have already started to talk to a Reserve Officer Recruiter and he has supplied me with some initial documents describing the various DCO programs.

My issue comes with the Information Warfare Community. I was originally thinking I could apply for Intel/Cryptologic/IP but the program descriptions refer to "intelligence experience" (intelligence analysts, collections managers, national security policy advisors, etc.) and STEM degrees/experience in "hard sciences".

I'm not sure computer science fits the "hard science" descriptor and I don't think I could describe my work as "intelligence" based on the example jobs they listed. I work mainly on military defense systems programs and projects.

Another option would be Supply Corps - In the document my recruiter gave me, the Supply Corps description included experience in "research/development". I'm wondering if I fit better into this Reserve program, however, I can't find much information online about "research/development supply officers". The information I find is mostly about acquisition work (which I could fit possibly - I'm required to maintain DAWIA certs and I have a B.S. in Technology Management in addition to my CompSci degree).

I know my best source of direct information will be my reserve officer recruiter, however I wanted to see if this community could provide any relevant information/ideas or insight into the required experience for IWC/Supply or any other Reserve DCO Program.

Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi, I'm a computer scientist currently working in a research and development role as a civilian government employee for the DoD/Navy (i.e. I work on a Naval Research Base). I am trying to research and discover my possible options for a Direct Commission into the Navy Reserves as an Officer. I have already started to talk to a Reserve Officer Recruiter and he has supplied me with some initial documents describing the various DCO programs.

My issue comes with the Information Warfare Community. I was originally thinking I could apply for Intel/Cryptologic/IP but the program descriptions refer to "intelligence experience" (intelligence analysts, collections managers, national security policy advisors, etc.) and STEM degrees/experience in "hard sciences".

I'm not sure computer science fits the "hard science" descriptor and I don't think I could describe my work as "intelligence" based on the example jobs they listed. I work mainly on military defense systems programs and projects.

Another option would be Supply Corps - In the document my recruiter gave me, the Supply Corps description included experience in "research/development". I'm wondering if I fit better into this Reserve program, however, I can't find much information online about "research/development supply officers". The information I find is mostly about acquisition work (which I could fit possibly - I'm required to maintain DAWIA certs and I have a B.S. in Technology Management in addition to my CompSci degree).

I know my best source of direct information will be my reserve officer recruiter, however I wanted to see if this community could provide any relevant information/ideas or insight into the required experience for IWC/Supply or any other Reserve DCO Program.

Thanks!

Your best bet would be for your OR to toss your resume around the Supply Officer Community Manager (he or she can find that) to see where you'll stack up.

I'll have @Chop07 provide a second opinion but based off your background IWC is the more suitable option. Supply Corps is seeking more "supply chain/logistics/financial" experience as well as leadership.

Your best bet would be for your OR to toss your resume around the Supply Officer Community Manager (he or she can find that) to see where you'll stack up.

I'll have @Chop07 provide a second opinion but based off your background IWC is the more suitable option. Supply Corps is seeking more "supply chain/logistics/financial" experience as well as leadership.

Ok, I'll mention that to my recruiter. My job role is considered an "Acquisition Workforce" position (ND payscale) if that means anything for Supply Corps.

Are these the only programs (IWC/Supply) available for my field that you know of or are there some I'm overlooking? Trying to keep all options on the table for the time being.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, I'll mention that to my recruiter. My job role is considered an "Acquisition Workforce" position (ND payscale) if that means anything for Supply Corps.

Are these the only programs (IWC/Supply) available for my field that you know of or are there some I'm overlooking? Trying to keep all options on the table for the time being.
I'd look at IP as well with your background. I'm not overly familiar, but a guy I know transitioned to that from NFO land, and left active duty with a CISSP. So look at that as the cert path for that community as you do research. If you're a developer with that CS degree, I know network admin/security isn't the same thing (I'm a tech PM in civvie street; aka the developers' adult supervision :D). But as a CS grad with real-world experience, I'd argue Big Navy would get a shit ton more out of you as a tech-related Special Duty Officer than slinging scrambled eggs and planning Sunday brunch as a junior chop on Das Boot. Supply Corps != acquisitions. It's logistics. As in supply chain management, not computer science.

BackOrdered

Contributor

I have experience on the IT side of Supply. Drop me a line if you have questions.

The Operational Research Subspec in Supply is basically "Big Data" and is one of the hottest fields in the community right now for obvious reasons. Poor sustained superior timing kept me from it, but I'd do it in a heart beat.

I'd look at IP as well with your background. I'm not overly familiar, but a guy I know transitioned to that from NFO land, and left active duty with a CISSP. So look at that as the cert path for that community as you do research. If you're a developer with that CS degree, I know network admin/security isn't the same thing (I'm a tech PM in civvie street; aka the developers' adult supervision :D). But as a CS grad with real-world experience, I'd argue Big Navy would get a shit ton more out of you as a tech-related Special Duty Officer than slinging scrambled eggs and planning Sunday brunch as a junior chop on Das Boot. Supply Corps != acquisitions. It's logistics. As in supply chain management, not computer science.

What would you say are the main "tech-related Special Duty Officer" programs? Intel seems to focus on intelligence gathering and Cypto/IP seem to focus on Network/Security that require a number of special certs. Does the Navy have officer billets for more R&D focused work?

Have you looked at AEDO/EDO as jobs that are more acquisition focused?

Not really, my understanding is that AEDO wants aerospace specific experience - I've never worked on any type of aerospace projects. EDO, I looked into but it seems the reserves are looking for Professional Engineer licensed applicants which is something that is a complete different direction from what I do.

Not sure if I'm overthinking the stated experience requirements.

I'm trying to work with my recruiter to see if he can get me in contact with actual officers in various fields that I can talk to.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Hi! Computer engineering and science background here too.

It sounds like you have a good officer recruiter. You should really drill him/her about all the details. Ask about competitive profiles for DCO selection, and not just just GPA but any other information that is available (education/degrees/majors, work experience, certifications, etc.). That will give you a very good idea of where you stand and what you need to bench on.

As you probably know, DCO selection is ridiculously competitive. It's on a separate level from OCS selection and a lot more competitive than Reserve components in other services or National Guard (for Army and AF). Some things that aren't "required" but "preferred" are de facto required for the DCO, such as higher education. Things like you motivational statement will be very important.

- Do you have an M.S. / PhD? It's strongly "preferred", especially for IWC which is the most competitive DCO board.

- Does your work sort of line up in some way with one of the Navy designators (seems to do somewhat for Supply and Intel)?

- Can you spin your work into sounding more analyst-focused (for INTEL)?

- Are you also an IT networking/security guy by chance?

- Do you hold DoD Directive 8570-approved certifications (important for IP/CW)?

- Has your recruiter told you about Engineering Duty?

I've been told being a GS or defense company employee is a big plus so that's good.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRed389

None
Not really, my understanding is that AEDO wants aerospace specific experience - I've never worked on any type of aerospace projects. EDO, I looked into but it seems the reserves are looking for Professional Engineer licensed applicants which is something that is a complete different direction from what I do.

Not sure if I'm overthinking the stated experience requirements.

I'm trying to work with my recruiter to see if he can get me in contact with actual officers in various fields that I can talk to.

Look up SPAWAR, PEO C4I, PEO EIS, and PEO Space.

From how you've described your civilian background, that's basically you.

If you like the idea of being part of what they do, both EDO/AEDO and IDC (IP/IW) communities provide manning for the above commands.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

According to this guy’s profile he only has two bachelor degrees. That’s a No-Go for EDO...

Do online Master's degrees count? Georgia Tech has a popular Computer Science online Master's program that's pretty cheap, and GA Tech also has one of the top CS programs in the country. If they do count, this could a really great part-time student solution for OP.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Do online Master's degrees count? Georgia Tech has a popular Computer Science online Master's program that's pretty cheap, and GA Tech also has one of the top CS programs in the country. If they do count, this could a really great part-time student solution for OP.

I would need to check the PA but I’m pretty sure EDO wants engineering-focused degree.

Based off this guy’s background, IWC DCO is his best suit. Supply possibly... but I think it would be a more distant long shot to getting selected.

Either way, he’s got no masters degree which puts him at a very competitive disadvantage for DCO.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I’d find it hard to believe that a CS degree wouldn’t count towards STEM or towards an AEDO/EDO requirement. All of our systems are so SW intensive that the relevance would be easy to argue. If masters is a requirement for DCO then such is life.

Either way you need to ask yourself what kind of work youd be interested in doing as most officer jobs are more management than technical. Which field interests you the most?