• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Competitive" Scores for ENLISTED to OFFICER OCS Packages

IUGUY

I see this term "competitive score" does that mean they wont consider applicants with scores less than that?

IUGUY

I see this term "competitive score" does that mean they wont consider applicants with scores less than that?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
\
I love that SWO is more selective than SPECWAR :D

Probably because they separate the wheat from the chaff early on and tell those not competitive to go pound sand. My experience at OCS was that the SPECWAR candidates were almost fictional in who they selected. We had a 2 time Olympic wrestler, the quarterback for an Ivey League school that got his bachelors at 19, a starting wide receiver for a D-1 school that had spent the last 3 years trying to get selected, and Marcus Luttrell's brother. Only 2 of those guys wear a trident today, and one already had it. So yeah, SWO is more selective than SPECWAR....

exNavyOffRec

No, competitive is just that anyone under that score is more of a longshot, unfortunately they really don't update that info, each year I would get a "new" competitive profile and when I would compare them to the last years they were the same, it was a big joke at our training.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NO, it does not! You are trying to get a black or white answer to a grey area question. What is termed "competitive scores" is a rough guide, actually a projection (guestimate) of a competitive scoreset.. The actual determination cannot be made until the board selects are complete, and scores are calculated.

Remember, other areas of the package are not quantifiable (LORs, leadership experience, volunteerism, personal accomplishments, team sports, employment history, etc.). If the predicted competitive scores for a given board are 6 6 6 48, [/I][/B]that does not mean you throw in the towel with a 6 5 5 45, as with excellence in the listed non-quantifiable areas above, may elevate your total package above one with better numbers. Hell, by the time you finish the package, the heavy lifting/legwork work is done... submit it, what have you got to lose?;)

Remember, it's all a possible life-changing (for the better) event. You can't win, if you don't play!:eek:
BzB

Last edited:

IUGUY

NO, it does not! You are trying to get a black or white answer to a grey area question. What is termed "competitive scores" is a rough guide, actually a projection (guestimate) of a competitive scoreset.. The actual determination cannot be made until the board selects are complete, and scores are calculated.

Remember, other areas of the package are not quantifiable (LORs, leadership experience, volunteerism, personal accomplishments, team sports, employment history, etc.). If the predicted competitive scores for a given board are 6 6 6 48,[/I that does not mean you throw in the towel with a 6 5 5 45, as with excellence in the listed non-quantifiable areas above, may elevate your total package above one with better numbers. Hell, by the time you finish the package, the heavy lifting/legwork work is done... submit it, what have you got to lose?

Remember, it's all a possible life-changinging

Thanks for the input! Its also great to hear something posititive.

My package is in! I have a few things I think hang me up a little but i think ive done some things in my 3.5 years active that could really help me stand out..... bottom line my package is in now and thats furthur than alot of people get, all I can do is hope for the best and continue to try to improve the package I will submit in six months if im not selected...... bottom line I just dont see myself being able to take no for an answer, worked to hard to even make myself eligible for this!

IUGUY

IUGUY,

What are your stats? GPA,LOR's, ASTB, Volunteer Work, etc.

Feed the homeless, reading with the elementary school, habitat for humanity , coaching youth basketball, basebAll, and dodgeball

Was the PAO for CSADD on the GW and we did a good enough job to get CSADD command of the year afloat 2012

EP sailor

LORs - 1 commander and squadron xo pilot, lt Cmdr NFO , and 1 lt (o3e) pilot Also an LOR from the director of youth sports in Yokosuka

Graduated with a BS in liberal Arts with 3.05 gpa. (Excelsior College)

(Currently enrolled in my first class of the MA in Administrative Leadership at Oklahoma UNiversity)

Astb 48 5 6 5

Why do you ask?

RescueSwimmer19USN

Active Duty Navy SAR Crewman
Feed the homeless, reading with the elementary school, habitat for humanity , coaching youth basketball, basebAll, and dodgeball

Was the PAO for CSADD on the GW and we did a good enough job to get CSADD command of the year afloat 2012

EP sailor

LORs - 1 commander and squadron xo pilot, lt Cmdr NFO , and 1 lt (o3e) pilot Also an LOR from the director of youth sports in Yokosuka

Graduated with a BS in liberal Arts with 3.05 gpa. (Excelsior College)

(Currently enrolled in my first class of the MA in Administrative Leadership at Oklahoma UNiversity)

Astb 48 5 6 5

Why do you ask?

No you seemed concerned, asking if they'd toss scores lower than the generalized "competitive" grade that people are throwing around here. I'm only an applicant myself but I would assume that the whole person concept has some play here. Keep the positive attitude dude.

RescueSwimmer19USN

Active Duty Navy SAR Crewman
Everyone,

Since this is a "Score" thread, any opinions on my chances? Especially prior selected guys/gals.
My conundrum is risking a retake of the ASTB to get a higher AQR (6) and OAR (46). Here's what I've got:

Going for SNA only
27yrs old, Active Duty USN, SAR Aircrew (Helicopter)

ASTB:
46 6 8 7

COLLEGE: UMUC
BS Emergency Management, GPA 3.774
AA General Curriculum, GPA 3.780

No derogatory issues, no disciplinary, etc.