• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive for a 2 year NROTC scholarship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecks

Greeting everyone. I want to be a Navy Officer and (hopefully) a pilot. I am currently a sophomore in college majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I have a 3.6, I'm in my second year of Army ROTC (this year is my last) and I used to be in the Civil Air Patrol. Would I be considered competitive for that scholarship? If so, when is the best time to apply? How are pilot slots guaranteed? With my stats could I join BDCP? Any help would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
BDCP and NROTC are 2 completelty different things. The navy does not give pilot guarantees in NROTC, I do not know if they do for BDCP either. You need to go talk to the NROTC unit on your campus. The soonest you could get a scholarship would be for next semester. As with anything, the best time to start applying is as soon as possible. Pilot slots are hard to come by right now.
Your major and GPA are competetive for NROTC

Fatboy

pilot
bch you must be bored this week! Actually there was (don't know if its still around) a program that gaurantees (sp?) an aviation slot. The guy I know was active duty enlisted. I don't remember the name of the program so I know its not much help but there is a program out there.

erabe07

Ecks-

It seems, especially with the spots relatively full, that you should start getting info as soon as possible. I don't know much about the ROTC option but I will highlight a few things from the BDCP path. I am third year in school (although it is my last) and was just accepted for the BDCP program & OCS around september '04. Your major & GPA will play a big factor but a lot will depend on the ASTB test, so you should get prepared to take that (Not sure if this applies to ROTC candidates, but I'd assume it does). In addition at least for OCS applications you will need to take the PRT. In BDCP they can 'guarantee' you the chance to start flight school, from there its up to you. Although BDCP candidates seem to get paid a lot more (pilot candidates start as E-3 with full benefits & allowances all through college), if you're going to an expensive school & are taking loans you're better off investigating ROTC. Hope some of this is helpful despite the lack of specifics.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I can help with the ROTC. Basically, this is how it goes...With your GPA, you should be pretty good to go with a ROTC scholarship depending on the unit's numbers. A 3.6 in engineering is something that every ROTC guy would love to have. As for a pilot slot, that is harder to come by. You will need to take the ASTB and knock it out. However, if you kept your GPA up and rocked your ASTB, a pilot slot might be open for you. However, the Navy does not guarantee pilot slots(The Marine Corps does) so you may end up doing something different. A couple of the guys that I graduated with applied for pilot/nfo positions and got sent to swo. They weren't too pleased. Just make sure you want the Navy first and then the job. Nothing is ever promised. Especially in ROTC. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.