• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

community college a no-go?

Lucy

So I think there is a little need for clarification. The newer app asks for your current school GPA, but your OR/processor also submits a page that shows your commulative GPA for ALL collegiate classes(MA/post-bac/cert classes count too). Seems to be that the new form is made to focus on your 4-year university GPA, but if that is faulty/low the board is able to look back at your overall progress.

I too went to a 2 year first and I highly enjoyed it and preferred it to the massive class sizes offered at a 4 year. I would say I suffered in respect to making connections for things such as scholarships and applications because I had a shorter time to build repoire with the professors that I would have in my final two years, whereas I might have had them for an intro class earlier on and been able to build on the relationship more. It also took a few terms to get the swing/understanding of all the programs that were offered at the 4 year that weren't at the 2 year(jobs, funding, clubs/sports, etc.)

ryan1234

so, due to funds, Ive been attending community college for the last two years, and am in the process of transferring to a 4 year university. my question is, does this make me look bad in the eyes of the commissioning board? I know the stigma attached to community college, but the facts are, my family could not afford to send me to a bigger 4 year university. I am involved in many extra-curriculars, is this good enough?

I think it's awesome that you were able to persevere and continue your education. Congrats on getting a 4.0 as well!

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
The Navy wants every grade from every university/college you attended.

Not what I wanted to hear. I have worked my butt off at my four year university and have a really good GPA. BUT I have also taken several classes that were offered at the CC nearby. Point is, I was content with any passing grade at the CC because the grade was not transferred. So you're saying that my GPA at the community college will be calculated into my final GPA??

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Not what I wanted to hear. I have worked my butt off at my four year university and have a really good GPA. BUT I have also taken several classes that were offered at the CC nearby. Point is, I was content with any passing grade at the CC because the grade was not transferred. So you're saying that my GPA at the community college will be calculated into my final GPA??

If it was an undergraduate level course taken for credit... YES.

srqwho

pilot

My BA was earned from 4 different schools... seriously. My final transcript is from the college that I officially earned it from; it had my final GPA on the transcript and it was cumulative.

As far as the CC stigma goes... I earned an AA at a CC before transferring to a 4 year university and it worked out for me. I had a bad freshman year of school and my GPA was awful. I turned things around and finished with a 3.6 and earned an MA from the same school. A couple/few bad classes isn't going to derail your GPA. For what it's worth, the classes I took at a CC were more informative than some/most of the ones taken at a 4 year university... smaller class sizes and the instructors weren't so bothered to be there because they didn't have the pressure of publishing work.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I went to the University of Oklahoma ...took forever to graduate, mixed in some Jr college in there b/c of a low GPA...I had 8 F's on my transcript and had a million speeding tickets. I'm in multi-engine advanced flight training.

DISCLAIMER: If you asked people who know me....I'm spehshul, so YMMV. Steve Carell in "Anchorman" special.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I received some of the best education I ever had from a community college, and here I am today about to finish primary. Don't worry about the pretentious minority who may inaccurately stereotype community college graduates as some sort of rejects who were not worthy of attending the same university as them. There are dirt-bags and rock-stars no matter where you go to school.

wannaflywindy

Hopeful Pilot
>_> I would never. Ive wanted to fly since I was 7 years old. I wont let stupidity ruin this. this is all I want, and I will do whatever it takes to get my wings.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I received some of the best education I ever had from a community college, and here I am today about to finish primary. Don't worry about the pretentious minority who may inaccurately stereotype community college graduates as some sort of rejects who were not worthy of attending the same university as them. There are dirt-bags and rock-stars no matter where you go to school.

To second that, I would agree, and I fly grey Navy jets with blowers on the back. So there :)

<-- former high school retard, turned community college stud, before it all

HueyHornet75

pilot
Here's a bit of advice that may help people that are younger, in college and just starting the career road: do the best you can wherever you are, whether it's high school, community college, PCU, Adams college, or Hahverd...do the best in the shittiest job you ever had, too. You may want to be an military officer now, but if you want to be competitive throughout your military or civilian career, you always want to apply yourself. You may want to apply to a Special Education Program, MECEP, Graduate Level tactical nazi school, test pilot school, or civilian graduate school. All your transcripts for every school you attended (post high school) will come into play and be reviewed. This might seem like common sense, but it's not-you'd be surprised. Doing well allows you options and offers variety when you think things are getting stale. For those of you who have already punted it in the past, don't sweat it, just keep the most recent data very good, and your poor performance in the past may be considered as "lacking direction", accordingly.
Regarding community colleges, it's my understanding that matriculation into a "very good school" is easier if you are a transfer than if you are an incoming freshman. Like KBay said, it's all up to you.
semper..

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I went to the University of Oklahoma ...took forever to graduate, mixed in some Jr college in there b/c of a low GPA...I had 8 F's on my transcript and had a million speeding tickets. I'm in multi-engine advanced flight training.

DISCLAIMER: If you asked people who know me....I'm spehshul, so YMMV. Steve Carell in "Anchorman" special.

You sound like someone I know.... Ahmed is that you?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! I have maintained a 4.0 GPA in CC, and Colorado University at Boulder has accepted me into their engineering school :D two more years till OCS! *fingers crossed*

If you're going to Boulder have you considered joining their NROTC program? There used to be a 2yr scholarship option. I say that because they pay for your school and you dont have to go to OCS in the end... Just something to think about.

CeeJayPA

Hey guys I know this thread is old, but this seems like the right spot for it. Hopefully a final answer will clear up any future ones. Im an enlisted E5, finish my BA in Strategic Comms next February. Current gpa at school Im getting my Bachelors at is a 4.0. Big question here is that i attended a CC years ago, but finished my associates this year at the current school I am getting my bachelors at. Will my final gpa for my associates be the gpa for that degree, or will they factor each school's gpa together? Shooting to submit my first PAO pkg next year when I finish my bachelors, or would any of you recommend doing it the 9months before I finish my bachelors like they allow? I know I wont be too competitive due to enlisted time in, but would like to show growth over time with work and school...Im 31yo, so PAO is my route. I am aware its competitive! Thanks for the help everybody!