• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioning Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKD

I want to get some feedback on the route I'm taking to applying for a commission.

I'm a Navy Veteran with 2 years active duty. I was an AE3 at time of discharge.
I've re-enlisted in the Naval Reserve under the AGP program as an IS2 (November 2002). I'll be attending BRIT for a year, before my rate of IS will be permanent.
I work full time and attend online courses (full time load) with University of Phoenix.
I graduate in September of 2004.

My question is, at what point should I start working towards a commissioning package. I know this has to involve my command, because I am already in the Navy. With being "under instruction" for the first year, my evals are going to be listed as "not observed."
I've heard it is good to start early when applying (as soon as junior year in some cases), but in my current position, would it be better to wait until I have more time in my command?
Also, I have not decided if I want to apply for OCS - active duty or a direct conversion in the reserves. I eventually want to go active duty. The commissioning process could be a good time to make the change.

any comments or suggestions? Does anyone (especially recruiters) see any flaws in my logic?
thanks,

AZSkegee

Go see your CCC, applying now is great , Try to take your ASTB test and score good on it, and finish out in 2004 strong. As far as recieving a slot or anything your CCC would really know more about that matter. I know you need to have the CO's recommendation and time at your command should not be too much of a problem (2 or 3 months let them get an idea of how you are)

WFU2USN

dsweeney,

Hey - it's Robin from the other forum....I think I answered to you when I didn't need to over there :-P.

Anyway, my background is much the same - I was enlisted active for 4.5 years, got out as a reservist, drilled for a while and then went into BRIT - I finished last summer and am just about done w/ the books tomake my rate permanent.

With regard to applying for OCS...

Contact your local Navy Officer Recruiter NOW - you'll need to go through an O Recruiter even as a reservist.

As a reservist, you'll have to get an endorsement from your unit Commanding Officer - where are you attending BRIT, by the way? Since you're in BRIT it should be the OIC there.

The main reason I understand what you're going through is I did the same thing - as a Reservist applied to OCS.

Please let me know if you have any questions!!

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

JKD

I'm attending BRIT in Millington, TN (JIC Memphis). I think they just started teaching BRIT there in the last year.
My chain of command is pretty interesting. I'm assigned to a unit that drills in Millington, but I attend BRIT instead of drilling with the unit (most of the weekends are even different). The Joint Intelligence Center is part of RIA-3 (New Orleans). I have one Chief and one OIC for the JIC, and my unit Chain of Command (which has a CCC).
I think I may start with the CCC and see where that takes me.

thanks for the input.

WFU2USN

Goliath,

BRIT = Basic Reserve Intelligence Training - Through this school reservists (officer or enlisted) get training similar to A School in order to become an IS (either non-prior service or prior service people). You spend about a year to a year and a half drilling and follow that up with a 2 week AT in Dam Neck, VA.

AGP - I think they mean APG - Advanced Pay Grade - prior service from other rates (I think) and non-prior service with a lot of work experience can come in as high as an E5 and go through training. Non-priors go through a mini boot camp - 6 months or so of drills followed up by a 17 Day AT at RTC Great Lakes. They then go on for further training in their rate. I know the Reserve recently instituted a policy for Seabee rates and HM to go through the whole 9 week boot camp and A Schools.

I hope that helps!

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.