• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Combat for Seabees?

Matt Sanders

I am wondering how much combat if any would I see as a Seabee officer? I'm not trying to sound crazy but I also applied for a marine scholarship so I'm not sure which would be better. I don't need to go to combat but I'd rather be busy than be in office sitting around on a 6+ month deployment. So if anyone has good input I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Seabees provide their own security. If you want combat, don't go CEC (Seabee Officers). Why? 1. Seabees aren't there to engage, they are there for security and defense. 2. There is no guarantee that as a CEC officer that you will even get orders to a Seabee unit. One of the O3s in my Reserve Battalion made it through his entire 4+ years AD and never got orders to a Battalion. CEC officers also do public works and NAVFAC positions which most certainly do NOT see combat.

Matt Sanders

Seabees provide their own security. If you want combat, don't go CEC (Seabee Officers). Why? 1. Seabees aren't there to engage, they are there for security and defense. 2. There is no guarantee that as a CEC officer that you will even get orders to a Seabee unit. One of the O3s in my Reserve Battalion made it through his entire 4+ years AD and never got orders to a Battalion. CEC officers also do public works and NAVFAC positions which most certainly do NOT see combat.
Oh okay is there any way to try to get into Seabees rather than other two for AD?

exNavyOffRec

Oh okay is there any way to try to get into Seabees rather than other two for AD?

When I started recruiting back in 2009 the CEC accessions officers said that the first duty station for nearly all new CEC officers would be a battalion, then as time went on it was "battalion in first or second tour", some of the guys I put in near the end of my tour have done 2 tours without seeing a battalion, and all of them tried, so it is all about timing.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor

Like NavyOffRec said, it is all timing. The Navy has been decomming Battalions which means fewer billets with Seabees while the other billets are holding much more steady. If your timing is good, then you are golden.

Long story short: don't join the CEC to see combat with the Bees. Join the CEC because you want to be part of their mission.