• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War revisited

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
SkeletalDevotedCondor-size_restricted.gif
The actual warehouse is in Richmond...and it looks kind of like the video! In fact, people ride little bikes to get around the place.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Unless someone did some last minute metal work, it wasn't gold-plated, but it was still a neat thing to have in the Wardroom.

50042094891_3abca4d775_h.jpg

That's the one! Not sure why my memory remembers it as being gold-plated. Probably the same reason I always remember the fish I catch as being bigger than they actually were. :D

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
In fairness to Churchill, no one at that time in the U.S. military really knew what was going on in Southeast Asia, except maybe Albert Peter Dewey or OSS Deer Team.

You are right. The Japs who founded the basis for all the next wars in area waged up to now, knew much better. I think Sir W meant mostly the same the Huntington later stated in his Soldier And The State: naval officership offers the member much weaker bonds to a society than army one thus involvement in both local and federal/imperial politics is rudimentary for navy guys, at least in comparison to Army, and in turn the strategical military history knowledge is not so important for Navy officer in general, ecpesially given the fact that he spends the lion share of his time at sea conducting Stoic philosophy of life instead of Machiavellian one absolutely needed to a business or political leader. Aside, in turn, the latter often demands mostly Army-related land warfare experience with close combat included, better wartime one (both shorter and brighter than peacetime Army tenure), as an ingredient of solid public image indispensable for politician. Navy average guy has neither time nor need to study the history. All in all, a man overboard has to be saved no matter what uniform he wears and which country he serves. Army guy with ambitions has to know at least the tenets of relationships to his own, defended or conquested societies on how to conduct police and MOOTW ops and how to avoid the massacres and their public representations, and the best standpoint to convince him in its importance is historical one.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did it originate from the Kosovo thing?

I believe it was a prize from a VBSS operation in the Gulf. I don't remember from when, though. I want to say during OIF, as I don't think it would have been in as good a shape as it was if it came from Desert Storm.

I hadn't gone back into shooting at that point in my life and knew less about AKs than I do now (which isn't much), so I'm not sure of the details of the weapon.

I picture is of a SELRES doing SELRES things on deployment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sleeping in your flight suit on the wardroom couch? I did that when I was an active duty JG...

But would you do it during Shoe meetings? I have a feeling you know the individual (Jelly Bean). If he wasn't flying or eating, he was pretty much on the couch. He'd be napping and the Shoes would come in to hold one of their myriad of meetings and he'd just stay there. Once the Captain realized he was basically no different than the rifle hanging on the wall, just a fixture that was part of the Wardroom, he was fine with it and they'd just hold meetings around him. It would blow the Chiefs' minds. The whole thing was pretty funny to watch.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I believe it was a prize from a VBSS operation in the Gulf. I don't remember from when, though. I want to say during OIF, as I don't think it would have been in as good a shape as it was if it came from Desert Storm.

The weapon was captured during a VBSS mission and then one of the partner nations who was participating in that mission mounted it as a gift to the crew for their hard work and dedication.

My time spent TDY on the 'Wood was probably some of the best I've had in the Navy.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Well, USN in 1971 asserted submarine design called APHNAS eventually rejected by then-CNO ADM Zumwalt's will. Despite APHNAS had officially been the precursor to Seawolf, many of its features disappeared enroute, but... modern Russian SSNs of Yasen-class (Project 885/885M, NATO Graney) are resembling APHNAS to such a degree that I'd like to say APHNAS seems to be the parental design: roughly the same power, submerged displacement, speed and main battery (20-cell VLS). Most important fact is that APHNAS had been viewed as a mean to deal with Soviet Surface Action Groups built around CGs to kill surface ships by STAM cruise missiles, just like Soviet designs were up to Charlie and eventually Oscar-class. When VADM Henry Mustin said in his oral history that USN NAVAIR people who dominated CNO realm before and after Zumwalt stated "we surely and easy can cope with this SAGs by means of A-6s", he simultaneously expressed opinion that there weren't anything behind these statement but typical fighter jocks' bravado, but USN bubbleheads took this danger way more seriousely, especially given the Rickover's will to put two powerful reactors, D1W and D1G, though designed for surface ships, into subs' hulls. All in all, APHNAS was something in a way of Soviet doctrine, for which the similarity to Yasen-class is kinda proof.