• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coasties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
I'll keep digging for my letter.. I probably have a hard copy that I could bang out the text here by this weekend.

Too much studying to do before then.. Engines test Thursday, Nav test next Tuesday.

Don't get worked up about how difficult it is..

Again, you just have to apply yourself, be motiviated, and basically study any free time you got.. take breaks, but not too long.

The longer your "around" the material, the more you'll remember, retain and learn.. and then things start clicking.. both IFS and API.

I was shocked to get a 96% in Aero 2. Our class average for the test was like a 89%. I think for all API classes, Aero 2's average is like 88% or something.. only 6 or so people scored a 98% or 100% on the test. Others were very happy to have just passed. It was a doozy, but not impossible.. just a lot to digest..

Again, I'm working on getting all the class presentations... I have all of Aero 2, and started on Engines.. ran into a snag after 30 mins of work on one of 'em.. :

Anyway, need to finish up my Nav homework for the night... boooooo

Oh, and OCS is easy. Just suck it up and do it.. Days are filled, completely, rarely any free time.. from Revillie to Taps, you'll be busy.. just long long long :D Having cool people in your class helps.. and EVERYONE makes it through, just don't be a moron. And if you want Flight, SHOW confidence when you get up in front of class, which you'll do often. And do well on your tests and evals (you get evalled like 2 times a week.. and you get to write evals just as much!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee fun fun stuff.)

chelu55

All coasties,
I have a question. I have been on this forum for a while. I am really starting to feel that out of all the branches the Coast Guard is for me. I of course want to fly, but have a few question. I am a senior at UNF getting a biology degree. However, I did not get a 1000 on my sat (slacked off in high school). I do have a 3.1 in biology. The Coast Guard website states that one must have a 1000 SAT score to be accepted and no waivers. Can I get in? Secondly, I am currently 25 and was wondering about the age limit with the coast guard. Is 27 the max age limit? Thirdly, what is the AVCAD program and what advice would anyone in my boat do? As far as I can tell most coasties dont get accepted out of OCS to flight school right out. Is that correct and if so are there any kind of Biology jobs within the coast guard? Enviormental ect..

Elder

I can't tell you anything about the SAT requirements, sorry. I'm prior CG enlisted and was E-6 when I applied for OCS using ASVAB score. Hrm, could always do that.. go take ASVAB.

"APPLICANTS MUST MEET ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TEST STANDARDS: SCHOLASTIC APTITUDE TEST (SAT): COMBINED MATH AND VERBAL SCORES OF AT LEAST 1000 ON THE SAT OR 1100 ON THE SAT I; AMERICAN COLLEGE TEST (ACT): COMPOSITE SCORE OF AT LEAST 23; ARMED SERVICES VOCATIONAL APTITUDE BATTERY (ASVAB): GENERAL TECHNICAL (GT) APTITUDE SCORE OF AT LEAST 110. THIS SCORE IS A COMBINATION OF WORD KNOWLEDGE (WK) AND PARAGRAPH COMPREHENSION (PC)."

I think the AVCAD is for Coast Guard Enlisted only. But, call LTJG DAVID BLOCK at 202-493-1091 or email at DBLOCK(AT)BALLSTON.USCG.MIL just to be sure. Please be very polite and explain your situation. :) (found # here - http://www.fredsplace.org/announce/ann723.shtml )

In my OCS class 4 years ago, we had 9 people apply for flight, and 8 were accepted. The 9th didn't go because wasn't recommended by OCS Staff (he lacked confidence). He went to the field, applied several times and is now flying 60's in Oregon. His daddy was a O-6 CO of an Air Station when he was getting denied.. heh.

Yes, we do have Marine Safety Offices. Granted, you won't actually be doing "biology" but that's probably where they'd want you to do.

One thing to remember ... there are usually no gaurentees in the Coast Guard. Something like the AVCAD is, but other than that... we just don't do it. :)

mlanore

Livin' the Dream
Chelu55,

I think I can help with this one. AVCAD is an acronym for Aviation Candidate. It is a program that is offered about once a year to enlisted CG members. I'm not sure if civilians are eligible for it, i'll check on that. You apply for it the same way as applying to OCS, along with taking the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery), having a Student Naval Aviatior physical completed, writing a little about it in your narrative, and requesting the program on your OCS application checklist. The program is limited to only a few slots per year. Don't let that discourage you though...Heck, I got in so it must not be that tough! If you are accepted, you will attend OCS and upon graduation you will report to Pensacola, FL to begin flight training. The other way is like Elder said in his last post, go to OCS as a regular candidate and apply for it there. Just try to take the ASTB prior to reporting for OCS. Good luck buddy.

<< M

chelu55

Ok guys its me again. So far I did some research and I am still eligible for OCS. Thats good. I've tried to email two recruiters about AVCAD,but no reply yet.Thats bad. I have a new question now. What is life like for all the years committed to the Coast Guard? I know 6 months in P'cola and probually two years training. How about the rest of the years in the CG. Is it simular to that of other branches. More flight time in the beginning and less at the end. What kind of flight hours are we looking at and is one obligated to serve time away from the aviation field? Any replys would be great.

Silverhawk

Hey Chelu5 and the Coastie Group !!,

I am pretty much in the same position as you are... I'm also 25 and about finished with my PPL and am considering heading into OCS and hopefully a Flight Slot. The recruiter I have spoken with seems to be mostly upfront but of course hasn't filled me in on alot of the finer details I just read here.

I would like to get the test done prior completing and submitting a package to OCS and would like to get an idea of the timeline and if I'll be offered a chance to head to flight training upon completion of the program.

Thanks to everyone who posted before ti was alot of great information. If ya get some time drop me a quick email and let me know how your decision process is going thus far !!

Patrick.Mulvihill@pnc.com

Take care and have a great thanksgiving everyone !!

-Patrick

Elder

In regards to life in the Coast Guard vs. life in other services...

I've been in 14 1/2 years.

I've never heard of someone getting out of the Coast Guard and going into another service.

I've never heard of someone even mention of thinking of doing something like that, other than for the the Army's Warrant Aviator program.

I've only known of people coming from the other services TO the Coast Guard.

A few people in flight school have already expressed interest in coming to the Coast Guard as soon as the Navy lets them. Many of them, like myself when I was 18, had no idea what the Coast Guard was about.

I grew up in the St Louis area, and my Mother played golf with the District Commander.. and told me I should go check them out.. "Uh, ok." I did. Off to boot I went, to my first ship, and took me about 6 months before I realized what the Coast Guard was all about.

I was hooked. I've had some nice duty stations, and have met some of the greatest and smartest people on the planet. I've also met my share of jerks.. but, the CG is small, and word gets around and typically jerks don't last too long. :)

Anyway, I dig it. I only wish I had more time to "recruit" you two, as believe it or not, we now get ribbons when we assist someone in joining the Coast Guard.

Elder

Not sure if this is new or not.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/dcprograms/blue21.htm

Silverhawk

Thanks Elder... I'm trying to find sometime this week to speak with my recruiter... he didn't mention this program... I'm trying to find out any of the additional eligibility requirements.

Wish ya had some more free time... could hook ya up with that additional ribbon !! As a side note.. went flying this weekend... Winds gave us all a wild ride !! LOVE IT !!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend !!

-Patrick
Pgh, PA

Status
Not open for further replies.