• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard OCS?

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Is it even possible right now? And I'm not saying SNA/NFO, because I know that's even more difficult. I talked to an enlisted recruiter over the phone in Orlando and I'm pretty sure he gave me incorrect information. I told him that I almost had my four year degree (in less than six months) and that I had good grades/honors/excellent shape/ blah blah blah and he pretty much told me to fuck off in a nice way. The only reason that I feel like this guy had some bit of validity is that I heard from a friend in the service that the CG is wayyyy backed up.

So?

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Yeah. He said that he couldn't even talk to me until I had my diploma in hand. Not sure about the CG, but that's obviously bullshit in regards to the other branches. The funny thing is he asked me a bunch of questions first in regards to me being eligible-- height, weight, tattoos, drug use, blah, blah. When I seemed to be entirely eligible he was pretty much just like NAH LOL.

sardaddy

pilot
hipfinnsy,

The recruiter was wrong. You don't have to be out of college to apply. The recruiting criteria is below. You can go to gocoastguard.com to get more info. Yes, it is possible but it is extremely competitive right now. Hopefully you will bring something to the table beyond "I went to college" because that won't be enough.

And HAL pilot, as far as the carrier discussion goes, you are right we don't have them. So while you are landing on the "postage stamp" we are deftly landing on the fringe of that postage stamp.

Temporary commission: between the ages of 21 and 34 (applicants must have reached their 21st birthday, but not their 35th birthday as of 30 September of the fiscal year in which the panel convenes)
Reserve commission: between the ages of 21 and 30 (applicants must have reached their 21st birthday, but not their 31st birthday as of 30 September of the fiscal year in which the panel convenes)
Military Status:
If you are currently serving in another branch of the U.S. Armed Forces or are enrolled in a ROTC program, you must provide a release from your service obligations prior to entering the Coast Guard. Applicants with six or more years of non-Coast Guard active duty service are not eligible.

Citizenship:
All applicants must be United States citizens.

Qualifying Tests:
All applicants must provide a qualifying score on the SAT, ACT, or ASVAB. No waivers will be considered. Minimum qualifying scores are as follows:

SAT 1: combined 1100 on verbal and math
ACT: 23
ASVAB: 109 on ASVAB General Technical (GT) Aptitude Area after 1 July 2004; 110 prior to 1 July 2004. The GT score is obtained by combining the VE (Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension) and AR (Arithmetic Reasoning) test scores.
Physical:
A full medical screening will be conducted in accordance with your application.

Educational Qualifications:
Reserve Commission Applicants must be in their senior year or hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.5.

Temporary Commission Applicants (active duty Coast Guard personnel E-5 and above with at least four years of active duty in any Armed Forces) must have a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university, or 25th percentile scores on general CLEP exams, or have completed at least one year of college (30 semester or 45 quarter hours) at an accredited college or university. Temporary Commission Applicants must also have completed one college-level math class or pass the general math CLEP exam. Contact your unit Educational Service Officer for additional information.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
sar, I don't think HAL meant any disrespect to the USCG; I think he was simply joking about another one of the OP's posts.

Hip, I never was able to get a hold of a CG OR so I can't tell you how competitive it is in comparison to the Navy or Marines at the moment, but take what you will from the fact that I never got a return call from them and am now leaving for OCS as an SNA in April. One thing that I did learn from my whole application process is that if you can't get straight answers from one recruiting station, call another one even if it isn't in your district.

HueyHornet75

pilot
perhaps he told you to fuck off because he read your motivational statement on here...like HAL said. glad you re-surfaced...you'd make a great sub guy.

sardaddy

pilot
That mike guy,

I took no offense at HALs comments. I was just making a joke, I jost don't get the smiley icons on the quick reply mode. Until you posted that other thread, which was very enlightening, I will admit I didn't get the "resolve of a cutter" part.

To get back on track of the original thread and to address a point you made, the CG does not have officer recruiters. If you want to be a CG officer you will use the same recruiter that those wanting to enlist do. We don't have very many recruiters and frankly we don't need them. We have always had more applicants than billets. So if one really wants to be in the CG patience is a virtue.

81montedriver

pilot
perhaps he told you to fuck off because he read your motivational statement on here...like HAL said. glad you re-surfaced...you'd make a great sub guy.

Yeh and from here on out it seems like the magical powers of the wolf will be with him during the application process!

azd5081

I'm in a Navy ROTC unit right now, I'm going to graduate in May 2012. Could someone elaborate on the process of commissioning into the Coast Guard even though I am on a Navy scholarship? Thanks!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in a Navy ROTC unit right now, I'm going to graduate in May 2012. Could someone elaborate on the process of commissioning into the Coast Guard even though I am on a Navy scholarship? Thanks!
Having paid for your college, the Navy would have to decided they don't want you or don't need you. In other words, you need to get a "conditional release" from the Navy before the CG will speak to you. It was outlined above. Once you have that in hand, the process will be virtually the same for any other CG applicant.