• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard DCA

mdubs

pilot
Trying to breathe some fresh air here. Recent DCA selection here. No idea what I’ll be flying or where, or when for that matter. Is there anything anyone recommend I start studying? Also is DCO school like a ‘boot camp/OCS’ environment?
I just went to DCO school in August. They did a major overhaul. It’s much better than what it was. They treat you like an adult. Feel free to give me a call if you want to chat (shoot me a pm for number). No need to study anything until you get to your unit. Life in the Coast Guard is much better in my opinion. Welcome!

Willow

Meyerkord

pilot
I just went to DCO school in August. They did a major overhaul. It’s much better than what it was. They treat you like an adult. Feel free to give me a call if you want to chat (shoot me a pm for number). No need to study anything until you get to your unit. Life in the Coast Guard is much better in my opinion. Welcome!

Willow
Were you Navy? Did you get a conditional release? Before or after MSR?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was Navy P-3 guy for 15 years. Was lucky enough to be selected for the O-4 to O-4 transition, so I separated from the Navy after my DH tour. Didn’t have to lose rank and owe the CG 5 years. Flying C-130J now.
Lawrence approves of this career path.

772ZeZf.gif

Last edited:

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I was Navy P-3 guy for 15 years. Was lucky enough to be selected for the O-4 to O-4 transition, so I separated from the Navy after my DH tour. Didn’t have to lose rank and owe the CG 5 years. Flying C-130J now.

How’s that going over with all the guys who had to take the paycut?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
They’re all fine with it. No one is hating on my good deal. The DCAs in my unit are all good dudes.

Nice. There seemed like there was some heartburn from the guys who didn’t get into that deal around these parts. Timing, as usual, is everything.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Nice. There seemed like there was some heartburn from the guys who didn’t get into that deal around these parts. Timing, as usual, is everything.

The flip side is the people who became JGs get to be give no fucks JGs again, with a lot of runway in front of them for flying tours or doing oddball coastie stuff. My understanding of the O4 transition was you were going to be DH level responsibility again. If you’re just looking to pump and dump to a 20yr retirement while flying and getting relatively well paid, fair.

mdubs

pilot
The flip side is the people who became JGs get to be give no fucks JGs again, with a lot of runway in front of them for flying tours or doing oddball coastie stuff. My understanding of the O4 transition was you were going to be DH level responsibility again. If you’re just looking to pump and dump to a 20yr retirement while flying and getting relatively well paid, fair.

Yeah I’m tagged for the Admin job, so it’s basically another DH tour. Absolutely no complaints. I get to fly, don’t have to do deployments longer than 2 weeks and didn’t lose any pay. I got very lucky when this program popped up and I was in a position to apply.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
To borrow some words from song lyrics,

I was born too late/I was born too soon...
You were born too late/I was born too soon

(I like all kinds of music)

MGoBrew11

pilot
For guys that have made the DCA jump:

What happens if you somehow do not make O-4 in the Coast Guard? I'm considering DCA and thinking of the $$$ aspect. If I were to pick up DCA at 10 years of service in the Navy I know my timeline would look something like:

Commission in the CG as an O-2 at 10 years total active service.
Promote to O-3 at 12.5 total years active service.
Promote to O-4 at 18-19 (?) years active service.

At that point I would probably retire once I get high 3 of O-4. If for whatever reason I didn't make O-4, can you just retire as an O-3?