• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard Alaska on TWC

Flying Toaster

None
In keeping with the current trend of "..... Alaska" shows, the Weather Channel has a new show about the Coast Guard Air Station up in Kodiak. It's on at 9 and 11 EST Wednesdays. Surprised no one's mentioned it on here, or maybe I missed the thread. So far I've been favorably impressed, they capture a lot of communication during the mission and feedback from the crews afterwards, without a lot of stupid drama that's typical with reality shows these days.

Obligatory 60 pics out of Kodiak...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

KBayDog

So far I've been favorably impressed, they capture a lot of communication during the mission and feedback from the crews afterwards, without a lot of stupid drama that's typical with reality shows these days.

Same here. It seems to be more of a documentary than a reality show.

What I like about the show is that it is chock-full of great CRM examples.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm a fan. I appreciate that is more about the mission and the professionals doing it, and less about the interpersonal drama of AN Timmy and his baby mama. Sure, there's some human interest stuff in there, but it's not overdone.

yakboyslim

None
I've enjoyed what I saw so far, but I'm skeptical. Most of these shows have a very interesting start and then slowly add more and more "reality". Good so far though.

srqwho

pilot
I agree with MB. The show is good, but it seems like TWC is turning into MTV with the addition of new shows every season. Pretty soon it'll be "remember when The Weather Channel used to give you the weather?"

MasterBates

When you at a hotel with no internet and no data service, you want it. Remember, cell phones don't work everywhere.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Watched a couple of shows I had on the DVR over the weekend.
Pluses: Seeing a bunch of guys I've served with
Seeing some sweet shots of AK (nice cinematography)

Minuses: Hearing guys playing up the "I'm a lifesaver" repeatedly (A 60 creman: "I come home and tell the kids 'Daddy's been out saving lives'". His wife "I'm happy to stay home and watch the kids so he can save lives"). I know TWC probably wants them to talk it up, but anyone talking how "heroic" their mission is drives me up a wall as I see it as the opposite of "The Quiet Professional" that most folks I work with are.
Focusing repeatedly on the airman program for the swimmers. Which is about .00005% of what goes on at an Air Station. Ease up, TWC...it ain't "The Guardian".

Pags

N/A
pilot
Watched a couple of shows I had on the DVR over the weekend.
Pluses: Seeing a bunch of guys I've served with
Seeing some sweet shots of AK (nice cinematography)

Minuses: Hearing guys playing up the "I'm a lifesaver" repeatedly (A 60 creman: "I come home and tell the kids 'Daddy's been out saving lives'". His wife "I'm happy to stay home and watch the kids so he can save lives"). I know TWC probably wants them to talk it up, but anyone talking how "heroic" their mission is drives me up a wall as I see it as the opposite of "The Quiet Professional" that most folks I work with are.
Focusing repeatedly on the airman program for the swimmers. Which is about .00005% of what goes on at an Air Station. Ease up, TWC...it ain't "The Guardian".
Decent PR for the CG. I'm sure the "i save lives" line was what the PAO wanted people to hear. I've only watched two episodes, but some more focus on maintenance or guys with something other than wings on their chests would be nice to round out the show.