• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNATRA Change of Command

Meyerkord

pilot
https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news...atra/503-432624e8-23f2-4a7b-bd6e-5a377cf518ee

Bio for RDML Dwyer:

Rear Adm. Daniel W. Dwyer is a native of Alameda, California, and a 1988 graduate of the California Maritime Academy where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation and a third mate's license in the U.S. Merchant Marine. He is also a graduate of the U.S. Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, and holds master's degrees in Foreign Affairs and Strategic Studies, and Computer Information Science.

Dwyer received his Wings of Gold in March 1992 with orders to fly the F/A-18C in Lemoore, California.

He previously commanded Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 27, a Forward Deployed Naval Forces Super Hornet squadron assigned to Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5 aboard USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63); Provincial Reconstruction Team Asadabad, Kunar Province, Afghanistan; VFA-106 the East Coast F/A-18A-F Fleet Replacement Squadron; CVW-8 aboard USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77); and CVW 17 aboard USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70).

Other at sea and ashore assignments include two tours with VFA-151, TOPGUN Class 97-1; F/A-18 Tactics instructor at Strike Fighter Weapons School Pacific Lemoore; Hornet air combat placement officer (Pers-433a) Naval Personnel Command Millington, Tennessee; director Regional Outreach (CJ9) Headquarters, Commander, International Security Assistance Force Kabul, Afghanistan; and director of Aviation Officer Distribution (Pers-43) Naval Personnel Command Millington.

As a flag officer Dwyer was the chief of staff and assistant chief of staff for Strategy, Resources and Plans for Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe and U.S. Naval Forces Africa and for Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet in Naples, Italy.

Dwyer commanded the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group from June 2018 to July 2019, which consists of over 7,000 dedicated and talented Sailors across nine ships, including USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), USS Bunker Hill (CG 52), USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000), six guided missile destroyers of Destroyer Squadron 23, and 80 aircraft of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 11. He assumed command as Chief of Naval Air Training in July 2019.

Dwyer was the 1997 Commander Strike Fighter Wing Pacific Adm. Wesley McDonald Junior Officer of the Year and his personal decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Air Medal Strike/Flight, Combat Action Ribbon, Battle E (three awards) and has accumulated over 3,500 F-18 flight hours, and over 1,100 carrier arrested landings on 11 different aircraft carriers.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In related news, outgoing CNATRA RADM “HYFI” Harris is headed to lead N98, which for those of you who don’t know, is the part of OPNAV that handles aviation requirements. They write the checks that buy new airplanes, weapons, technology and ultimately new capabilities.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look at that, another flag officer with a shit ton of hours and traps...who wonders why guys who will never fly half of that are leaving.
Your point is well taken, but the fact that he has had 4-5 flying tours post O5 command doesn’t hurt.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Look at that, another flag officer with a shit ton of hours and traps...who wonders why guys who will never fly half of that are leaving.
Kind of... 3,500 hours isn't what I'd call a shit ton for someone of his vintage and background.

I definitely agree with your sentiment. When Size III became CNATRA about ten years ago, he had 6,000 hours. He made time to get his T-45 NATOPS qual, which I thought was pretty cool- on the other hand, he never bothered to find time for even one TH-57 VIP ride, which I thought was very disappointing and demotivating.

We'll see how things turn out for the next few years for the mothership in Corpus... there are certainly lots of challenges in the training pipeline these days and good leadership could make a big difference.

BarryD

Contributor
He was the first CMA grad to put on Flag in the Navy and went active after commissioning via what is now called SSOP.

I got paired with him once at the golf course at NASNI, seemed like a nice guy.

Last edited:

Fallonflyr

pilot
I was in gun squadrons from 1986-1994 with one year out of the cockpit as a FAC during that time. Had about 2600 hours of grey jet time. We used to fly every day sometimes two sorties. So that is really not a whole lot of flight time for someone with a 30 year career.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Did you see Pete Mitchell around that time?
I was in Beeville when the movie was shot. But heard a good story from an instructor about the night Tom hung out with the boys at the O club. To get into the role he put on a flight suit and rolled the bones. Apparently he is not to good with numbers and ended the night making a long distance call into the big white phone in the head.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I was in gun squadrons from 1986-1994 with one year out of the cockpit as a FAC during that time. Had about 2600 hours of grey jet time. We used to fly every day sometimes two sorties. So that is really not a whole lot of flight time for someone with a 30 year career.

This is so insanely out of alignment with today’s number of sorties and flight hours that it’s not even funny.