• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNATRA Bids Farewell to Orange and White Paint Scheme

IRfly

None
What is different? I just read to new policy on flightsuits and NWUs. Seems pretty familiar.
NAVADMIN 197/23:
"Flight suits are only authorized in the NCR for personnel in an actual flight duty status for that day."

This supersedes NAVADMIN 196/20, which states:
"The NWU Type III may be worn as the alternate uniform of the day per commanding officer or officer-in-charge permission on DoD installations, commands and facilities within the NCR other than the restricted areas established above."
And
"Navy Flight Suit wear restrictions in the NCR will align with the NWU Type III" and "Wear of the NWU Type III and Navy Flight Suit in the Pentagon and PLC2 is authorized for Navy personnel performing watch standing in the National Military Command Center (NMCC), Navy Operations Center (NOC) and DiLorenzo TRICARE Health Clinic (DTHC)"

To walk the dog, 196/20 outlines several circumstances in which flight suits are authorized to be worn, including at CO's/OIC's discretion. Superceding 197/23 states only one circumstance.

That is a change. Maybe it's not a change from whatever was the policy during your time 10 years ago or whenever it was.
Or maybe you meant to say that the computers and systems this NAVADMIN was written and transmitted on are the same as 10 years ago--that's probably accurate.

This, along with the discussion of the paint jobs on VT aircraft (another cosmetic non-issue), was meant to be a lighthearted poke at the fact that in spite of the fact that the Navy faces REAL problems that we still cannot seem to unravel, the Navy went directly for the tried-and-true "Let's do something-something with the uniforms, that will put us on the right path/right mindset/blah blah."

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the Navy can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I'm saying that the Navy is basically a paraplegic who thinks that chewing gum is a form of physical therapy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAVADMIN 197/23:
"Flight suits are only authorized in the NCR for personnel in an actual flight duty status for that day."

"The NWU Type III may be worn as the alternate uniform of the day per commanding officer or officer-in-charge permission on DoD installations, commands and facilities within the NCR other than the restricted areas established above."
And
"Navy Flight Suit wear restrictions in the NCR will align with the NWU Type III" and "Wear of the NWU Type III and Navy Flight Suit in the Pentagon and PLC2 is authorized for Navy personnel performing watch standing in the National Military Command Center (NMCC), Navy Operations Center (NOC) and DiLorenzo TRICARE Health Clinic (DTHC)"

To walk the dog, 196/20 outlines several circumstances in which flight suits are authorized to be worn, including at CO's/OIC's discretion. Superceding 197/23 states only one circumstance.

That is a change. Maybe it's not a change from whatever was the policy during your time 10 years ago or whenever it was.
Or maybe you meant to say that the computers and systems this NAVADMIN was written and transmitted on are the same as 10 years ago--that's probably accurate.

This, along with the discussion of the paint jobs on VT aircraft (another cosmetic non-issue), was meant to be a lighthearted poke at the fact that in spite of the fact that the Navy faces REAL problems that we still cannot seem to unravel, the Navy went directly for the tried-and-true "Let's do something-something with the uniforms, that will put us on the right path/right mindset/blah blah."

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the Navy can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I'm saying that the Navy is basically a paraplegic who thinks that chewing gum is a form of physical therapy.
Right, and what I'm saying is that this was more or less the policy when I was working at the PNT 10 years ago - I.E. flight suits weren't allowed in nearly every situation. I don't even think anyone in the NMCC was wearing them, though I didn't spend a lot of time there.

So, while I agree that the focus on limiting flight suits is silly, attributing the new NAVADMIN to some draconian new stance by the acting CNO is a bit myopic. That's ultimately the part of this thread that I'm pushing back against.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
NAVADMIN 197/23:

And

If I was a JO at the 5 sided fun house I'd see this order as, "challenge accepted."