• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
That thing must be a bitch to keep untangled.
I'm -2 dropping 1st SFG dudes in an ice cold lake along with their little rubber boats. We rip through the tree line, hit the brakes and they fly right by and transition to a creeping hover as they start jumping out both sides. Plop, plop, plop. As we're doing this I'm keeping an eye on lead and all of the sudden one black pajama dude jumping from lead is caught on their AW's ICS cord. Poor bastard looks like a fly caught in a spider's web, dangling mid-air, rotor wash thrashing him about, mist from the lake going every which way. We tell lead over the radio as we watch the AW laying by the edge of the door, trying not to get dragged out as the second AW desperately tries to hang on to him. Eventually ninja dude works himself free and he belly flops into the water. Remember, boys, no points for second place.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not true about a one-time demo. Not a real thing until someone pays for it though.
How many pounds of gas at what range from the CVN?

Edit- Found enough: "“Marine Corps Ospreys with VARS will be able to refuel the F-35B Lightning II with about 4,000 pounds of fuel at VARS’s initial operating capability. MV-22B VARS capacity will increase to 10,000 pounds of fuel by 2019." Good luck with that, USMC!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think they only had the hornet once. And, like you said, still not a real thing.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just saying that you were being unduly dismissive of it. VARS had more to it than a one-off stunt. Unfortunately, nice-to-haves don’t last long when it comes to requirements.