• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Don't really know why there is push back to bringing helo bubbas in, and don't really care. Bottom line, it's already happening and will continue. Not sure if you noticed, but the major results now list one Maj CMD Ashore possibility as HELSEACOMBATWING/FLELOGMMWING. All three selected are HSC bubbas. If not is not slated there this year, someone will be next year likely.
That's interesting. I'm all for helo guys getting a shot at the V-22, and I get why it no longer makes sense to have the COD & AEW communities together, but I'm surprised HSC leadership would be on board with the merger. Haven't we already seen the results of letting ass-n-trash HC types lead tactical communities? No offense, @Pags; you're one of the good ones.

I imagine there will be some sort of rotation, so now every 3rd CDRE will be a day-only COD driver? Also, HSC Wings already manage 4 TMSes (60H, 60S, 53, and MQ-8). I'd love to know the background on this decision.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's interesting. I'm all for helo guys getting a shot at the V-22, and I get why it no longer makes sense to have the COD & AEW communities together, but I'm surprised HSC leadership would be on board with the merger. Haven't we already seen the results of letting ass-n-trash HC types lead tactical communities? No offense, @Pags; you're one of the good ones.

I imagine there will be some sort of rotation, so now every 3rd CDRE will be a day-only COD driver? Also, HSC Wings already manage 4 TMSes (60H, 60S, 53, and MQ-8). I'd love to know the background on this decision.
No offense taken, I got voted off the HSC island years ago.

If you look at the slate you'll note that there are two billets; one for HSC and one for VRC. While it's a fool who looks for logic in Naval staffing decisions, I'd be tempted to think that they brought in a VRC guy to run VRM to keep them aligned to the legacy VRC mission and they brought in an HSC guy to be able to provide RW insights. If my guess is correct, it seems like a decent enough idea and something like that is how I would have played it had I been asked.

The next bit is just pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 5yrs there's discussion of consolidating the logistics/non-tactical RW missions in to the VRM community. VRM gets vertrep and LHD SAR and non-tactical 60S missions and all the tactical RW communities become one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could you guys see a CMV-22 routinely tanking off a an AF KC-135 enroute to a blue water CVN? Or the Airwing sending out an F-18 tanking asset to meet the CMV-22 halfway

Given how much USAF KC's are tasked nowadays that would be a horrible waste of as asset for a very minor mission.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
While it's a fool who looks for logic in Naval staffing decisions, I'd be tempted to think that they brought in a VRC guy to run VRM to keep them aligned to the legacy VRC mission and they brought in an HSC guy to be able to provide RW insights. If my guess is correct, it seems like a decent enough idea and something like that is how I would have played it had I been asked.
Hopefully it works out better than the cross-pollination attempts in the HM (Navy H-53) community.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hopefully it works out better than the cross-pollination attempts in the HM (Navy H-53) community.
Yeah, that didn't seem to work out well for any of the HSC guys who got sucked in as O4s. But seeing as how the front offices weren't cross pollinated as well, it shouldn't be too surprising that ducks picked ducks and the HSC bubbas were seen as unwanted outsiders.

croakerfish

pilot
....but I'm surprised HSC leadership would be on board with the merger. Haven't we already seen the results of letting ass-n-trash HC types lead tactical communities? No offense, @Pags; you're one of the good ones.

Who said anything about tactical? My guess is they're more worried about former HS types. Next thing you know they need a radar to "get into the SUW fight" and there goes the last good deal...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Who said anything about tactical? My guess is they're more worried about former HS types. Next thing you know they need a radar to "get into the SUW fight" and there goes the last good deal...
I'd put my money on the HSC dudes being the first to strap a SEAL team in the back and try to be AFSOC. I mean the whole "we're just like the 160th" hasn't really come to fruition.

Last edited:

CUBUFFS4134

Tellin’ it like it is.
pilot
Contributor
I'd put my money on the HSC dudes being the first to strap a SEAL team in the back and try to be AFSOC. I mean the whole "we're just like the 160th" hasn't really come to fruition.

Funny you say that, the first dude selected for transition as a DH from HSC is a SWTI with a CVW background.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
interesting. Just like the H-53, the USAF seems to be taking the lead on the V-22. Do the Marines cross train with the USAF CV-22 types? Share flight techniques and profiles? Do the Marines take advice from the USAF dudes on how to operate the V-22 and vice versa?

Interesting t/o and landing profiles in this video - Looks like the USAF favors the roll-on to the runway or maybe it's just training. I'd be totally interested in seeing how the flight controls are moved during t/o and landing - and how much displacement in the stick, power lever are are put in and how a pilot knows when to rotate nacelles with thumbwheel vs just add power and lower the nose.

Interested in how you define the USAF “taking the lead.” Don’t see any evidence of that. Rolling takeoffs really isn’t that innovative. It’s just a routine thing.

Different mission sets have different TTPs.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
450px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Not at you, at that argument, even de-hyperbolized . . .

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Interested in how you define the USAF “taking the lead.” Don’t see any evidence of that. Rolling takeoffs really isn’t that innovative. It’s just a routine thing.

Different mission sets have different TTPs.

I was under the impression that AF funded a good part of the up front engineering effort that NAVAIR / HQMC is using to standardize the MV fleet to a single config. Other than some of the defensive systems you share identical fms/comm/nav right?