• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Cluster F*ck Naming of COD Replacement -

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't the V-22 have less range and less payload? Confused why this is a good option for Navy logistic support? Just wondering..any current COD guys wanna add their input?
You're confusing the MV-22B with the CMV-22B (i.e., the Navy variant). The latter has greater range, less payload than a C-2.

it's been widely reported that Pax River is developing take off and landing profiles with nacelles slightly forward and using running landings and takeoffs to expand gross weight
Internal volume will be the limiting factor me thinks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Internal volume will be the limiting factor me thinks.

Are they planning to replace C-2's one for one or are they planning to procure a few more CMV-22's to make up the difference in cargo capacity? Like having 3 V-22's for a VRC det instead of two C-2's?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
it's been widely reported that Pax River is developing take off and landing profiles with nacelles slightly forward and using running landings and takeoffs to expand gross weight

The community has used those since the beginning. I imagine Pax is just getting the wind charts and CVN-unique NATOPS procedures nailed down.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are they planning to replace C-2's one for one or are they planning to procure a few more CMV-22's to make up the difference in cargo capacity? Like having 3 V-22's for a VRC det instead of two C-2's?

I believe the program of record was 44. I should know exactly how many we are procuring, but sadly I do not. As for det size, analysis has been done for both 2 and 3 aircraft dets. This summer's fleet battle experiment will be of a 3-aircraft MV-22 det in lieu of C-2s for the logistics requirements. Current C-2 cargo loads consist of passengers, CASREP, and TP-1 cargo, so when comparing det size you have to consider if you want to move the same amount of stuff as now or just the priority stuff with the rest going by way of RAS.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The community has used those since the beginning. I imagine Pax is just getting the wind charts and CVN-unique NATOPS procedures nailed down.

There's only 1 type of cargo that I'm aware of where weight will matter as much as volume. Just like the C-2, the rest will be volume limited: the aircraft cabin "cubes out" before it weighs out.