• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civil Service and Other Observations

Devil Duck

Any other civil servants who are DCOs? I've recently returned to federal service after a 3.5 year tour as a dirty nasty for-profit defense systems engineering technical analysis (SETA) contractor. Previously, I worked in combat developments as a GS11.

Currently I work for the Army as a GS13. I've worked here in various capacities for the past 6.5 years. Most of my peers are retired O4/5 or E9s. I still find it odd that my employees are retired E7-9s and active duty & retired O3/4s. It was odd when I was a former E5, it'll be more so now that I'm (soon to be) an ensign.

I'm excited to learn the Navy system as well as the intelligence field. I'm accustomed to being the expert in my field, and the go-to guy in the office. It'll take years I'm sure to attain that level of expertise in my new field. It'll also be interesting the learn the dynamics of new personal relationships developed through the USNR.

I've found working with the Army that education, training and a willingness to do jobs others fear will always keep one employed. I plan to continue that scheme with the Navy. To that end I've already purchased and made my way through most of the Blue Jacket's Manual and the Newly Commissioned Naval Officers Guide. I'm a little disappointed in the BJM though. I was really hoping it would be more like the Guide Book for Marines (I still have my original copy issued at MCRD PISC). Both are good reference points and well worth the investment.

Iceman6291

Duck,

I am a civil servant as well (for the near future at least). And I must say as a current government man, damn the contractors! Haha all kidding aside that sounds like it was a good move as you were able to come back higher than when you left, always a good thing.

I am currently a GS09, got into the gov at a GS07 a little over a year ago. Procurement. Not too shabby. Work for the Navy so there are a few JO's in my office that I work with so it's a healthy mix of civvies and military. Just got my FISNEL letter for the Supply Corps so that is what I am focusing on now.

As far as the books go, I saw some gouge on those a little while ago and picked them up myself. Pretty good reading although I have to agree with you that BJM wasn't quite what I expected it to be.

Devil Duck

You should look into the Army's AMC Fellow's program. It's a 5 year program that includes an MBA, and a promised promotion to GS13 if you meet all the gates.

I came into the Army as an intern in 2003, GS07. Promoted to GS09 a year later and 11 the year after that. A few months later I quit to take a job making 50% more. All in all contract work pays much better than civil service. I'm at the point where I wanted to be able to lead. Don't get me wrong, our contractors are expected to lead, but they cannot lead groups of gov't/mil teammates.

Iceman6291

I am actually in the Naval Intern Aquisition Procurement program now. Which sounds eerily familiar to what you were describing for the Army intern process when you first came on-board. I agree that as a contractor the pay is much higher, it's an avenue that many people here take. Later on many of them are coming back to the government for the same reasons that you described in addition to the benefits as well. Not too shabby of a way to do it.