• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

China Clipper

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1588203638.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
This book is also available online as an E-Book --- well worth the few bucks cost if your interest lies in the China Clippers @ the late 1930's and what happened (?) to the Hawaii Clipper. You can get it online from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or 1stBooks.com ...

1stBooks will also let you view sample pages ... if you buy the book, bring along your plotter and dividers and be prepared to learn something about "real" navigation.

The webpage also has some good links pertaining to the subject.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In a similar vein .... since there's an open thread @ Earhart and Fred Noonan --- he was a former head Navigator for Pan Am --- this thread is "bumped" F.Y.I. .... as many herein probably haven't seen it.

picture005mr0.jpg

plc67

pilot
Another good PanAm read is "Captain Lodi Speaking", I believe I have the correct name. He details his experiences in the Clipper days and how you worked your way up from radio operator, mechanic, etc. to pilot in the Clippers. He also addresses Amelia's navigator and his impressions of him.
Captain Lodi, Robert Buck and Dean Smith provide some excellent insights into the infacy of the airlines,and,in Dean Smith's case, the airmail experience.
Well, I'm off to MCO and then ANC to fight the modern airline pilots greatest challenge; boredom.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Another good PanAm read is "Captain Lodi Speaking".....
Well, I'm off to MCO and then ANC to fight the modern airline pilots greatest challenge; boredom.
I will check that book out .... and have a safe trip. Say "hello" for me at the Club Paris or Darwin's ... :)

Boredom & the airlines. Ahhhhh ... it's the best. Just that 'ol paycheck that keeps coming every two weeks to wake you up and keep it "interesting" ...
:D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pan Am maybe to fly again?

Apparently, Pan Am has been resurrected and announced a return to services to the Middle East.

This week Pan Am announced it will begin regularly scheduled flights to
Iraq, Iran, and other key destinations in the Middle East. Pan am also
announced it may consider adding N. Korea to it's routes at a future date.

3293603242323132.jpg

ATCS

Thanks for the link. I have been interested in the clipper ships ever since I worked in the ATCT at Agana Guam 80-81. When PAN AM B747's would taxi out they all had a personalized name on the side. Seems like Kit Carson was a favorite of that route. It interested me enough to read the life story of Juan Tripp. He was a pretty ruthless businessman, but built an empire using the clipper ships. Of course I'm sure you know all of this already. Let me know when the book is finished.