• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

checking in

klostman

the happy dance!
I am supposed to report to Alpha Co in Nov 05'. A buddy of mine who just finished TBS said to call Mike Co XO and see what he says.

Before I call are there some things I should know?

Is this possible and if so under what conditions?

Can you check in to Mike Co without offical orders?

When should I expect to get my orders? 30 days prior, 60?

Man I hate waiting 6 months just to go to TBS.

Thanks for your help.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Was your post supposed to read " I am supposed to report to alpha Co in Nov '05, but I would like to check in to TBS earlier"? If so then I would call the Mike Co Office, and have them put you through to the XO when he has the chance... I think just looking up the Mike Co XO and phoning him directly with your question might get an undesired result... that's just how I'd go about it.

Mike company will have to answer questions 2 and 3 for you.

As far as when you should expect orders- 30 days before you are supposed to show up at the earliest. I think that's how they prevent people from checking in early, as your orders will say "report no later than" and most likely will have no "report no earlier than" statement.

Trick of the trade- on the day you do check in, check in as close to 1600 as possible. It will be the last weekday you sleep in for a while.

Also, remember you check into TBS in a suit, not Alphas. Make sure you have cammies on hand, as the first thing they will tell you is "change into cammies".

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Taxman2A said:
Also, remember you check into TBS in a suit, not Alphas. Make sure you have cammies on hand, as the first thing they will tell you is "change into cammies".

I agree about keeping cammies on hand, but check in wearing ALphas. I have no idea where this gouge came from, but we were all req'd to check in wearing alphas (I think some academy guys were exempt because they didn't have them yet). If you have alphas, wear those.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes if you have Alphas wear them but 90% of the guys will be checking in in suits becasue they got commisioned in Blues.

klostman

the happy dance!
Taxman2A said:
Was your post supposed to read " I am supposed to report to alpha Co in Nov '05, but I would like to check in to TBS earlier"? If so then I would call the Mike Co Office, and have them put you through to the XO when he has the chance... I think just looking up the Mike Co XO and phoning him directly with your question might get an undesired result... that's just how I'd go about it.

The paper I got with my OQR basically says expect a TBS report date in Nov 05',blah,blah and yes, the paper wasn't offical orders or anything. Yes, I would like to check in early unless I'm just ridiculously out of my mind, which in that case, someone tell me not too. Has anyone heard of other Lts checking in 2 or 3 months in advance of their expected TBS date? Thanks again.

Also, has anyone ever heard of a Lt doing PTAD for another OSO in a different state other than the one he or she came from?
I went through the denver office, commissioned and then moved to Fredericksburg,VA just recently. Could I possibly do that?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
SemperGumbi said:
I agree about keeping cammies on hand, but check in wearing ALphas. I have no idea where this gouge came from, but we were all req'd to check in wearing alphas (I think some academy guys were exempt because they didn't have them yet). If you have alphas, wear those.

Did you go through OCC? Of course, OCC commissions in Alphas, so it would make sense that you would check in in them. All others would wear a suit though.

Malice 1

pilot
klostman Also said:
I went through the Kansas city OSO, and I am doing PTAD with the hyattsville MD OSO.

It sounds like you are getting wrestless of being an unpaid untrained Marine, just like me. Tell me what you find out in respect to Mike CO. I'd jump on that too, if they had enough room. If not, I'll see you in Arctic Alpha.

NavyOCS

I have heard different gouge regarding check in attire. If you check in "after hours", after 1700 or whatever time they close you dont have to have a suit. Just appropriate civilian attire. Is this not true?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
KizerSosay said:
I have heard different gouge regarding check in attire. If you check in "after hours", after 1700 or whatever time they close you dont have to have a suit. Just appropriate civilian attire. Is this not true?

Well... If you check in after 1700 or so you will check in with the TBS Officer of the Day. The Officer of the Day will be a Captain- either an SPC or a warfighting instructor who is on duty. He will give you a room key and tell you what time Mike Co formations go. Basically then, you run the luck of the draw with whether or not the Captain on duty will be "cool" enough to not care if you are in a suit or appropriate civilian attire. Maybe you will get away with it, or maybe you will get your first TBS ass-chewing about professionalism and not doing the bare minimum... is wearing a suit that uncomfortable?

NavyOCS

A suit uncomfortable. I have no idea because I dont own one and do not want to purchase one to wear for 15 minutes. Yeah I am pretty cheap but maybe I will break down.

usmcecho4

pilot
Checkin in early may mean you will have to take leave in order to go to home for Thanksgiving. Checking in early makes no sense in my opinion. Enjoy being a civilian and hanging out with your friends and family. I know that you are anxious to check in and get the ball rolling but checking in early really won't do this for you. All it will do is ensure that you have to move all your crap between three rooms instead of just two. Also checking in after hours works. I checked in at 2245 the Sunday my order started. I just went to the OOD and a bunch of Mike Co Lts were processing everyone. It was extremely relaxed (of course I didn't know that so I did the whole Lt so and so reporting as ordered). All you end up doing is signing your name getting your orders endorsed, picked up linens, pick up your key (if they have one for you), go sit in your room, and wait around for your company to pick up. You may also have to go on a few really ****ty working parties while they try and figure out what to do with you. Basically you will not get an edge or anything by reporting early. There is no way to get ahead of your training company by hanging out in Mike Company. DO NOT CHECK IN EARLY. One more thing I had a friend who checked in early and they had him sleep on the floor of a BOQ room that was already full so if that sounds like fun knock yourself out.

s/f,
usmcecho4

klostman

the happy dance!
thanks gents, guess I got my wish granted cause I'm reporting for IFS mid september. Maybe I'll avoid most of the working parties?

usmcecho4

pilot
IFS doesn't do working parties and if anyone tells you differently they are trying to con you into something. Once you finish IFS you will do working parties so that may or may not suck.

s/f,
usmcecho4

Malice 1

pilot
I just talked to the local OSO. He told me to try and check in early. He promised me PTAD in his office, but I guess he doesn't have enough slots. He told me to get into mike company, and then he would shark me away from any swabby-type working parties.

My tasks that lie ahead:
1)beg KC OSO to get my orders sent to me early
2)Check in early. (Am I allowed to check in more than 60 days early?)
3)cross my fingers and hope that local OSO will come thru. (I trust him)

Should I go out and buy a service uniform now? I know it takes them a long time to have it tailored correctly. All I have now is a few sets of cammies and dress blues.

rossaholman

Lt, USMC
klostman, I will be reporting for IFS during that same time. Thanks for asking some good questions, its helping me get a handle on whats going on as well. Sounds like I will be seeing you there... Im also slotted for Alpha Co ... mmm, artic alpha, I did OCS in the beautiful VA summer, now its time to enjoy the beautiful winter