• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Check off list for ODC

CEMMartiR3

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am trying to start my officer package for direct commission (suppo) and need a list of items so i don't forget anything.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
In before someone tells you to search forums,

Your first step would be to get with your OR and get them what they need. Its a big list including birth certificates, marriage licenses, transcripts etc.

If you check the IWC FY20 forum I posted a complete check off for medical which could be useful when you hit MEPS.

The IWC forums are jampacked with gouge, happy browsing!

CEMMartiR3

Thank you, I appreciate the time you spent writing me back. Your response will not fall on deaf ears. I currently joined the Navy reserves so my MEPS medical is still good along with my clearance. I will cross them off my list.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
So you're currently assigned to a NOSC and drilling?

Your NOSC will have an OR, I'd find them and hold on tight and get your package submitted ASAP. Numbers are higher right now w/ our budget, if that changes rates will plunge.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Oh wow you're really fresh in,

I don't think you're even eligible for a board until you've completed your current quals - in fact I believe one individual from my board was not considered for that very reason.

Being a GS only helps if what you're doing would be applicable to the board. In my case I work in a technical field in a supervisory role - both things the board was looking for.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You need to speak with the Command Career Counselor to learn of any obligations (i.e., finishing A School or Boot Camp, etc.) you have for your current enlistment and rating.

CEMMartiR3

Thank you both for your knowledge on this subject. I was on active duty for 5 years and served 4 additional years in the reserve. I left the reserves for 4 years to complete my degree and start my career. My career in the VA should help my chances I would think. Hopefully, my OR can clear up some of my questions. My new rate is EO but my previous rate was SH. The Command Career Counselor did tell me I would need to complete A school for my new rate.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Being a GS employee or working for the VA doesn't mean you have an easier road ahead nor a guaranteed spot. Supply is SUPER competitive (selection rates have been sub 9% for the last few years).

Your OR should be able to provide you with a checklist that includes all the things you will need to submit a complete your package. Make sure you ask for it. My first OR didn't give me one and it wasn't until my 4th, yes 4th, OR who gave me the checklist.

subreservist

Being a GS employee or working for the VA doesn't mean you have an easier road ahead nor a guaranteed spot. Supply is SUPER competitive (selection rates have been sub 9% for the last few years).

Your OR should be able to provide you with a checklist that includes all the things you will need to submit a complete your package. Make sure you ask for it. My first OR didn't give me one and it wasn't until my 4th, yes 4th, OR who gave me the checklist.

In defense of the ORs, they do not HAVE to provide you a checklist. The checklist is for the recruiter.

While it may seem like a good idea to simply push the checklist to an applicant and just wait for items to roll in, it doesn't work in practice. Some would be turned off to apply seeing a laundry list of items to complete. Plus, the checklist is not a step by step order or provides specifics on completing certain items.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Supply is SUPER competitive...
Understatement of the year. Two CHOPS I know... One is a SVP of Worldwide Sales for some big company.. The other is some big whig at a bank handling finance and operations.

Keep an open mind to the process to make yourself look as much like the duck that you are trying to be. Also, if you are more competitive for another designator, you can always go that route and then try to change your designator after you are in and complete your initial requirements for your initial designator.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

In defense of the ORs, they do not HAVE to provide you a checklist. The checklist is for the recruiter.

While it may seem like a good idea to simply push the checklist to an applicant and just wait for items to roll in, it doesn't work in practice. Some would be turned off to apply seeing a laundry list of items to complete. Plus, the checklist is not a step by step order or provides specifics on completing certain items.

very true, I would often send an email to the applicant with the items that I needed the applicant to provide me, it was much cleaner than giving them the checklist.