• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of getting selected for Navy Intel

exNavyOffRec

Here's the thing about the Astb

It's an equalizer and levels the playing field. Same with GRE and LSAT which i also did. I scored a 44 the first time. I went back and studied and came back with a 55

And got selected the second time around with the better score. I had to go to the navy college office and hire a math tutor to help me. No shame in it, I had a masters degree and was getting taught math by a 19 year old kid, but hey it got the job done.

Each board looks at it a bit different, I have seen 2 selected for intel in the past 3 years with OAR's in the 40's, but they had significant work history and good GPA's.

bluemarlin04

Each board looks at it a bit different, I have seen 2 selected for intel in the past 3 years with OAR's in the 40's, but they had significant work history and good GPA's.
Oh I understand that. I know it's not just the test score but I guess I was saying that there is ways to up the score if need be

I.e. hire a tutor like I did

Winston

just active duty.

So word from my recruiter is that it might be easier to go for active duty intel than reserves, that seems to contradict what I've read here and elsewhere. Anybody have any input?

From NavyOffRec's statements in May it sounds like active duty intel officer is going to be off the table for a while. Could things have changed that quickly?

Trust but verify, as they say. Appreciate the help guys.

exNavyOffRec

So word from my recruiter is that it might be easier to go for active duty intel than reserves, that seems to contradict what I've read here and elsewhere. Anybody have any input?

From NavyOffRec's statements in May it sounds like active duty intel officer is going to be off the table for a while. Could things have changed that quickly?

Trust but verify, as they say. Appreciate the help guys.

Things have changed, the backlog is cleared out so there will be a board, but it will be for FY14 selects and the numbers compared to applicants will be low. in addition they are looking at selecting 60% tech degrees now.

Intel selects generally also have very high GPA's

Winston

Things have changed, the backlog is cleared out so there will be a board, but it will be for FY14 selects and the numbers compared to applicants will be low. in addition they are looking at selecting 60% tech degrees now.

Intel selects generally also have very high GPA's

Got it. I don't have a tech degree (BA International Relations) but I've got a 3.65 GPA and 4 years of full-time work experience (not intel community though). Also I took the ASTB and got a 53 for my OAR. Not my greatest test performance and might retake.

I was looking mainly at the reserve before but if there are real opportunities for active duty I'm seriously considering that.

Thanks again.

exNavyOffRec

Got it. I don't have a tech degree (BA International Relations) but I've got a 3.65 GPA and 4 years of full-time work experience (not intel community though). Also I took the ASTB and got a 53 for my OAR. Not my greatest test performance and might retake.

I was looking mainly at the reserve before but if there are real opportunities for active duty I'm seriously considering that.

Thanks again.

Reserves look highly on work experience and graduate education, so that is probably why he said to look at active, not sure if you meet age requirements but I would say if you do to look at SWO as well, sometimes Intel selection can be very low, I think one board it was like 2%, it really depends what is more important, being a Navy Officer or a specific job in the Navy, I know many people that only wanted a specific job in the Navy many never were accepted, but at least when they applied with me they knew their options.

Mew

NavyOffRec, do you have any advise about interviews for the intel board? Is that something I should be trying really hard to chase down or does it tend to not have a large effect on the package?

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec, do you have any advise about interviews for the intel board? Is that something I should be trying really hard to chase down or does it tend to not have a large effect on the package?

None of the people I have had selected for any active duty IDC field had an interview with an IDC officer, we had one OR that always found IDC officers for her candidates to interview with and she had a very low selection rate, the problem is what these IDC officers believe the board is looking for and what the board actually looks for are not necessariy the same thing, so you could shoot yourself in the foot.

The biggest thing you can do is have a good GPA in a tech field.

Mew

So while I don't have a tech degree I do have a BS in econ policy but I have spent the last couple years running a high profile robotics program for NASA do you have any idea if they would give partial credit for that?

exNavyOffRec

So while I don't have a tech degree I do have a BS in econ policy but I have spent the last couple years running a high profile robotics program for NASA do you have any idea if they would give partial credit for that?

When it comes to Intel they get so many applications it is often a crapshoot, I have seen people with near perfect GPA's, excellent LOR's, excellent work history and they still not get in.

We had an IP guy that came back from OCS and he had I believe 3 Intel people in his class, all 3 had been on the civilian side of Intel before applying, either as GS, or contractor.

What it comes down to is what is more important, being an officer or the specific job