• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of any lateral transfer (but more specifically to OCEANO)

Sprout15

Okay just a bit of background first:

I just sent in my OCS package a couple weeks ago with OCEANO as my first and only choice after finding out the Navy is no longer accepting SWO applicants for this fiscal year (which had been my second choice). Just found out today that I actually don't qualify for OCEANO because the physics class I took in college wasn't advanced enough- this came as a shock to both me and my recruiter.

My recruiter recommended I apply for either supply or intel, and during that time, take the class I need to qualify for OCEANO and try to do a lateral transfer down the line. My question is, how likely is it for anyone from any designator to transfer to another? Or I guess more specifically, how likely is it to laterally transfer to OCEANO? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on OCEANO so any would be appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I just sent in my OCS package a couple weeks ago with OCEANO as my first and only choice after finding out the Navy is no longer accepting SWO applicants for this fiscal year (which had been my second choice). Just found out today that I actually don't qualify for OCEANO because the physics class I took in college wasn't advanced enough- this came as a shock to both me and my recruiter.

My recruiter recommended I apply for either supply or intel, and during that time, take the class I need to qualify for OCEANO and try to do a lateral transfer down the line. My question is, how likely is it for anyone from any designator to transfer to another? Or I guess more specifically, how likely is it to laterally transfer to OCEANO? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on OCEANO so any would be appreciated.

NRC is definitely accepting SWO candidates for this FY, so really no clue why your OR would say it.

Nothing is ever guaranteed for lateral transfer. Pick a career you would be HAPPY with in the event lateral transfer doesn't work. With your GPA, I would encourage SWO and maybe Supply but for Intel, your GPA is way below the competitive norm.

exNavyOffRec

The "not qualified for Oceano" is all on your recruiter, it specifically states a calculus based physics series, he made a rookie mistake that I haven't ever seen someone make.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Program authorization for reference: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...s/Documents/PA-108B_Oceanography_Apr-2015.pdf

Sometimes it's necessary to do a lot of research and information finding to help keep your OR on track. Your OR may not know much about certain designators' requirements and has to handle a lot of applicants across many designators with all their nuances.

Would you be able to take a calculus-based physics series at a community college and is that acceptable?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprout15

I don't want to throw my recruiter under the bus- he's been more than helpful with getting my package together. The course catalog description for the physics I took was pretty vague and none of the class descriptions said calculus based even for the advanced physics classes so I assumed my class was fine.

Would you be able to take a calculus-based physics series at a community college and is that acceptable?

That's what I've been looking into. I figured calculus based physics is calculus based physics no matter where I take it. I don't see why it shouldn't be acceptable. I'm assuming by series they mean both physics I and II- would you agree?

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

I'm assuming by series they mean both physics I and II- would you agree?

This is something you should absolutely confirm with people who know the correct answer to this.

exNavyOffRec

Program authorization for reference: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...s/Documents/PA-108B_Oceanography_Apr-2015.pdf

Sometimes it's necessary to do a lot of research and information finding to help keep your OR on track. Your OR may not know much about certain designators' requirements and has to handle a lot of applicants across many designators with all their nuances.

It is literally his job to know about the PA's for all the programs he is recruiting for, and even then if I ever had a question it would take a very short time to get the answer from another OR.

exNavyOffRec

I don't want to throw my recruiter under the bus- he's been more than helpful with getting my package together. The course catalog description for the physics I took was pretty vague and none of the class descriptions said calculus based even for the advanced physics classes so I assumed my class was fine.

That's what I've been looking into. I figured calculus based physics is calculus based physics no matter where I take it. I don't see why it shouldn't be acceptable. I'm assuming by series they mean both physics I and II- would you agree?

The Universities that I covered called the classes "General Physics" for non-calc based physics which were PHYS 11X classes, the calc based were starting at PHYS 12X classes.

If yours started at the 12X level did you take 2 semesters or 2 quarters?

Sprout15

The physics class I took was either 010 (General Physics) or 011 (Introductory Physics). I can't remember exactly and I don't have access to my transcript at this moment; I'm just going off of my university's course catalog. The courses then jump to the 200 level which I'm assuming are the calc based classes even though none of the course descriptions say so.

I took one semester, or two quarters, but I'm under the impression I did not take calc based physics, which in that case it doesn't really matter how many semesters or quarters I took because none of them would qualify me for Oceano anyway.

I am looking at physics courses at a local community college and the calc based courses start at a 200 level. "University Physics I" is one semester and "University Physics II" is another one semester. So what I need to find out is if I need just the first class or both of them.

@NavyOffRec I hope that makes sense. Thank you for your input.

exNavyOffRec

The physics class I took was either 010 (General Physics) or 011 (Introductory Physics). I can't remember exactly and I don't have access to my transcript at this moment; I'm just going off of my university's course catalog. The courses then jump to the 200 level which I'm assuming are the calc based classes even though none of the course descriptions say so.

I took one semester, or two quarters, but I'm under the impression I did not take calc based physics, which in that case it doesn't really matter how many semesters or quarters I took because none of them would qualify me for Oceano anyway.

I am looking at physics courses at a local community college and the calc based courses start at a 200 level. "University Physics I" is one semester and "University Physics II" is another one semester. So what I need to find out is if I need just the first class or both of them.

@NavyOffRec I hope that makes sense. Thank you for your input.

you would need 2 quarters or 2 semesters