• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CH-53K ground tests

Pags

N/A
pilot
I think the dude in the fancy boots is a company man, clearly a former military aviator.
@ChuckMK23 , where'd the pics come from?

The guy in the front right has aviator wings but I can't read the name tag. I'm guessing this is from when VMX-1 flew the big wigs. I'm guessing the other shot is from IOTE flights. It's likely not a company guy as there's no orange gear in the back.

Also, source for CV-22 soundproofing? I didn't think any of the services had cabin soundproofing other than maybe HMX.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The newest Big Iron is scheduled to arrive at New River this week. The Osprey is a superb machine, but it can not internal a Humvee - not sure if can lift a JLTV. The Corps needs a flying semi to get everything ashore. That said, I think you are correct that the Germans and the Israelis are leaning towards the Chinook.

Germany goes with the Chinook (at roughly 1/3 the flyaway cost of the CH-53K). Possible that the King Stallion could become the Airbus A-380 of the rotor world - a technological achievement but just too big and expensive for most users.

Germany Picks Chinook Over King Stallion For New Heavy-Lift Helicopter​

Choosing Chinook aligns Germany’s heavy lift capabilities with eight other NATO nations.​

1654869869300.jpeg

1654869840433.jpeg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Germany goes with the Chinook (at roughly 1/3 the flyaway cost of the CH-53K). Possible that the King Stallion could become the Airbus A-380 of the rotor world - a technological achievement but just too big and expensive for most users.

Germany Picks Chinook Over King Stallion For New Heavy-Lift Helicopter​

Choosing Chinook aligns Germany’s heavy lift capabilities with eight other NATO nations.​

View attachment 35283

View attachment 35282
Exactly. No reason to pay 3x for 20% more aircraft.

I’d be surprised if the K doesn’t go into Nunn-McCurdy land.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Chinook benefited from AF development dollars during its consideration as the PR/SAR/AFSOC replacement to the HH-60G - its literally the best value per dollar for heavy lift of any rotorcraft in production. That said there is huge political pressure for FMS customers to adopt the Kilo.

It amazes me as well how at a big picture level the Marine aviation structure still "looks like" 1980's - other than the V-22, you have something called a "H-53", something called a "Huey", something called a "Cobra", etc. I think the pressure will only continue with those elected asking "remind me Marines, what you do again"? (I honestly think Navy is in the same boat [sic] , but I'm no policy wag or a Brett)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I came to love the Chinook in Afghanistan where it apparently could fly at any altitude in any weather. I got to document a few 160th missions there and the flying was incredible. What amazed me even more were the guys that had been through the Colorado ARNG mountain flying school…they had some mad skills. The ‘53’s only real advantage I see is that it can fold up a bit saving some room on a deck.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
It amazes me as well how at a big picture level the Marine aviation structure still "looks like" 1980's - other than the V-22, you have something called a "H-53", something called a "Huey", something called a "Cobra", etc. I think the pressure will only continue with those elected asking "remind me Marines, what you do again"? (I honestly think Navy is in the same boat [sic] , but I'm no policy wag or a Brett)

Ignorance goes both ways.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Exactly. No reason to pay 3x for 20% more aircraft.

I’d be surprised if the K doesn’t go into Nunn-McCurdy land.
Interesting article from Loren Thompson at Forbes. The V-280 tilt rotor has definite advantages in speed and range over any helicopter (regardless of traditional rotor, advancing blade concept or compound). If Bell wins, what become of the helicopter industrial base in general and Sikorsky in particular?

Army’s Future Vertical Lift Competition Could Have A Devastating Impact On The Industrial Base​

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting article from Loren Thompson at Forbes. The V-280 tilt rotor has definite advantages in speed and range over any helicopter (regardless of traditional rotor, advancing blade concept or compound). If Bell wins, what become of the helicopter industrial base in general and Sikorsky in particular?

Army’s Future Vertical Lift Competition Could Have A Devastating Impact On The Industrial Base​

Sikorsky will be fine no matter what happens. There are enough H-60s out there to keep them making blades and gearboxes into the next century.

Bell, on the other hand…