• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CG Aviation - Age questions @ 29

Timber

Hello Everyone,

I also posted this question word for word at USCG.org forum as well however I figured since this is a aviotion forum I might have some more assistance here. USCG does appear to have a great recruiter presence so I will likely utilize both sites while looking through this (if its even an option).

So long story short, I have been interested in flying for a very long time, however focused my efforts on the AF and could tell you all the ins and outs of the selection process (including the part that i am pretty much out of luck due to my age).
I have started looking into the CG and was reading about the Blue-21 program which allowed flight contract up to age 31 with other requirements. Apparently the blue-21 is now the Wilks flight initiative which appears to only cover exiting college students. I'll give the quick run-down of my stats and see what kind of shape I'm in or is the door closed on me.

Age 29 - turn 30 in oct
College - Gen Business (Man/fin) minor Marketing - GPA 2.83] (considering going in to get my masters should be able to get it done w/in a year but id hold back if this is an opportunity I can pursue).
Vision - L 20/150 (-3.00) / R 20/80 (-2.5) Obviously not in the standards are there vision waivers (im just at the line for the AF waivers) or is my only hope there PRK?

No Flight experience

I cant think of anything else please ask if so, I know there is a lot of weight placed on letters of recommendation in the selection process for the AF is that the same with the USCG? I also am reading you can always roll the dice and go to OCS and compete for a pilot slot if you don't get picked up you can always apply while in the fleet. Are there age waivers once in the fleet or are the same age factors still in play?

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read and may be able to help. Sorry for all the questions i feel like a fish out of water here and finding alot of conflicting information on the net os hard to get a definite answer (about.com states you cant even go to coast guard flight trainig unless you are already a mil pilot).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm not familiar with the CG age standards so I will not try to offer you advice on that. You might have hope, you might not depending on their limits. What does make you dead in the water is your eyesight. It is 20/40 uncorrected max in both eyes, period.....dot. You can get PRK done and rectify that problem (assuming you have the time left to do this, recover, be seen by a flight doc, and pass the physical), but there are no waivers that I have ever heard of for not meeting these standards. For winged aviators (who previously met those standards but now do not)? Yes. For applicants, no. Beyond that, the age could certainly be a show stopper....it would be for sure in the USN/USMC, but again, the CG may have a different policy. I'll let the couple of CG guys on here chime in on this. As for grades, anything under a 3.0 is really not that competitive, especially in something like business. I don't say that to be harsh, but that is just the truth. I've seen people with lower grades than yours get in, and I have seen folks with grades far better also not make the the cut. It really just depends on timing, what they need in terms of pilots, etc. But in general, that is not competitive. Overall, you have some significant hurdles to overcome in order to be eligible, and your college grades aren't helping you either. Again, this isn't said to burst your bubble and make you feel shitty, but it is honest.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Just to add to what Midnjac already put, CG does not do waivers for PRK for pilots. I explored that route, but chose Navy when I found out CG would not be an option because of that (though I may have gone Navy anyway). Recruiter first broke that news, but a search of the CG website later confirmed it (do not remember where to look though as that was last year). I do believe eye surgery waivers are given to most other designators (though IIRC rescue swimmer/diver may not as well), but they would not require perfect vision anyway, so...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk