• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Caution to SNA/NFO prospects

gsalg

With all due respect, you won't know until you go to MEPs or a recruiter measure you. Also... Where there is a will there is a waiver. So if youre a nut hair away from making the height requirement then they may qualify you. You don't know. Also, OCS isn't an experience that is a waste of time. 1) You challenge yourself and grow 2) You decide if the military is for you or not... Looking at experiences as a "waste of time" causes you to resent, regret, and develop a bad attitude. Lastly, you are given the option to separate at OCS if DQed from aviation.

Ive never been measured other than just height, I've been through MEPS and my recruiter hasn't measured me, my kits already out for the next board. This is the first time I ever hear about anthro.

W

Wildcat15

No other community was open. Those designators take a much smaller number of candidates every year, and they fill up quickly after the fiscal year resets. And EOD doesn't take candidates unless they were enlisted EOD prior to OCS.

For the guy who graduated in Jan, what class were you? 05? The class before me and after me got hit hard too. If your class did so well, maybe they were being super strict earlier in the fiscal year due to excessive pro rec Ys. All I can speak to is what I saw personally.

My original post wasn't to scare anyone or say the sky is falling, just a tip to others to be 100% covered medically in case NAMI continued to hit hard.

Also, I don't know why aviators are in here, off topic, becausr I said being an officer is the overall goal. We clearly have differing opinions, please stay on topic.
How do you "cover yourself" 100% medically if NAMI is finding small blemishes in your history to DQ you? I only ask because I've had laporoscopic surgery on my abdomen and fear being NPQd for something I can't do anything to change. All I can do it provide my records and a letter from my surgeon...

Igloojam

pilot
How do you "cover yourself" 100% medically if NAMI is finding small blemishes in your history to DQ you? I only ask because I've had laporoscopic surgery on my abdomen and fear being NPQd for something I can't do anything to change. All I can do it provide my records and a letter from my surgeon...

You print out the NAMI waiver and standards guides which are posted online. Google it.

Once you have them you look through them with a fine toothed comb and find where you stand.

Remember... you are not a doctor. I don't know why, but people love to become hypochondriacs when they fill out their medical questionnaire.

Lastly, you can't control whats waiverable and what's not. It is the plight of the color-blind boy who wishes nothing more than to fly, but never will. It is what it is.

W

Wildcat15

You print out the NAMI waiver and standards guides which are posted online. Google it.

Once you have them you look through them with a fine toothed comb and find where you stand.

Remember... you are not a doctor. I don't know why, but people love to become hypochondriacs when they fill out their medical questionnaire.

Lastly, you can't control whats waiverable and what's not. It is the plight of the color-blind boy who wishes nothing more than to fly, but never will. It is what it is.

Thanks. Yeah I've read through those guides and standards four or five times and for the most part, I had an issue not resulting from an underlying condition (which is good), but I have a feeling if I go to OCS, it will be 50/50 depending on what side of the bed they woke up on that morning. Sucks but those are good enough odds for me.

Hammer10k

pilot
Thanks. Yeah I've read through those guides and standards four or five times and for the most part, I had an issue not resulting from an underlying condition (which is good), but I have a feeling if I go to OCS, it will be 50/50 depending on what side of the bed they woke up on that morning. Sucks but those are good enough odds for me.

I was cleared for flight at OCS but it was not without stress. Candidates got NPQ'd but the majority were fine. It's not 50/50. Maybe 85/15 when I was there. The NPQs I saw were for an allergy to certain metals, anthro (too short), a degenerative eye condition that could only be found by a professional, and maybe a few other unusual ones like a guy had chronic back spasms and a pending criminal charge.

My best advice in preparing for the NAMI physical is that MEPS doesn't matter and you should collect every record regardless of if the MEPS physician cleared you or not. This sounds obvious but for me I could of avoided a big headache if I knew this.

I had knee surgery in 2004 and the record was missing or destroyed when I was trying to go to MEPS. My recruiter had me see an independent ortho and I was granted a waiver since the record was MIA. I didn't think about it again until Week 1 of OCS when the flight surgeon opened my record and said "Yeah.. you need to have that record. Call home now." For 11 weeks I was convinced that I was going to be NPQ'd because all I could produce by the time I was about to graduate was insurance receipts and a note from the surgeon. Somehow NAMI bought his chicken-scratch note and now I'm in Pcola.

Long story short, if you think you could need any record or anything at all, bring it or at least start the search now. Even if it's a doctors note giving a detailed account of the surgery and your recovery. Don't stress too much about the physical. But bring every record you could possibly think of.

rymo96

This is what I found using google and the search function here:

Copied verbatim from NOMI website...

ANTHROS
All aircrew applicants must meet standards to be considered for ejection seat aircraft. (SH: 32-41"; FR: 28" min; BKL: 21.9-28"; BLL: 36-50") Waivers will be considered for SNFO applicants who are below standards for BKL ONLY. Otherwise, waivers will not be considered for officer applicants who are outside the standards for anthros. Enlisted applicant aircrew who are outside the standard for anthros can be considered for a waiver to non-ejection seat aircraft only (Navy) or found PQ for non-ejection seat aircraft (Marine).

ANTHROS
Required for applicants. No Waivers.
Sitting Height (SH) 32-41 in.
Functional Reach (FR) 28 in. or more
Buttock Knee Length (BKL) 21.9-28 in.
Buttock Leg Length (BLL) 36-50 in.
BKL is the most critical measurement. If member does not meet anthro standards on initial measurement he must be retested three times by the AVT and the flight surgeon. Please pay attention--these are frequently missed by
examiners!
HEIGHT
Navy: 62" to 78" (M); 58" to 78" (F) for Commissioning in URL.
USMC: Minimum 66" (M) and 58" (F) for Commissioning.

Credit goes to Crowbar for this post back in....2003 it looks like but I doubt it's changed any.
Where is this found on the NOMI website? I cannot find it.