• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cardio Question

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Is it possible to split a 30 min cardio session into 3 10 min sessions and it will equal the same amount of work? I ask because after 10 minutes on one of the machines I get very bored, but I still want to get an equal workout so I was hoping to be able to break the cardio portion into seperate portions.

I'd prefer to just run outside but I don't have that option because I'm currently rehabing my knee from an ACL reconstruction. The past few weeks, right when I started being able to run, I had some bad tendonitis so I have to keep my workouts low impact. So far the tedonitis has went away at my Physical Therapy sessions but I don't want to push it too much. I'm working to prepare for the PRT to submit my application in mid-Feb. I know it will be hard to be at a decent running pace by then but I'm doing the best I can given my knee.

schwarti

Contributor
I don't think so. I'm no expert, though. As for the boredom thing, get an iPod or something and listen to music. Or get on a stationary bike and read a book. (Note: this does not work on treadmills. :D)

badger16

None
If you got off one machine and ran to the other, or did high Knee's to another machine, I'm sure it would be similar as you are keeping your heart rate up.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
I forgot to mention that by 3 10 min sessions I don't mean one session in the morning, one at lunch, one at dinner. I meant one session when I get to the gym, go lift, one session, more lifting, then a final session. Thanks for the responses.

bjstephani

You should try picking a cardio machine with some good "scenery" in front of you. Time will just fly by.:D

Ajaxus

Depends on your goals, if you want to improve your distance running..no.

If however you want to jack up your metabolism, burn fat, get in better shape then yes. Look up HIIT on google. It stands for High Intensity Interval Training. The workouts are extremely short, but VERY intense. It'll definitely keep you on your toes, so to speak..

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
If you got off one machine and ran to the other, or did high Knee's to another machine, I'm sure it would be similar as you are keeping your heart rate up.

badger16 gives good gouge.....you must keep your heart rate up for (depending on which study you believe) 20-30 continuous minutes.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
ever just use a stationary bike or try swimming?

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
in terms of calories you'll probably burn more by taking a small break because you'll be able to rest and go at the next session a little bit harder than you otherwise would have. In terms of performance of your heart it'll be a little worse off because it's not continuous. Of course if you go harder this can make up for the small break you took...

Aka you can run a fast mile and a half by doing lots of 200 yard sprints for training. I prefer sprint sessions to 1.5 miles or more. Just more fun and easier to do by breaking it up.

zen

Aka you can run a fast mile and a half by doing lots of 200 yard sprints for training. I prefer sprint sessions to 1.5 miles or more. Just more fun and easier to do by breaking it up.

More or less this. If you don't like running distance do interval training. From what I understand through threads on AW, you never actually run that far in OCS and interval training is better for fat loss/takes less time. You just have to be prepared to put out some effort for it to be effective.

All hail wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training