• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Car accident questions

Fenris78

Hello, I had recently been pro rec’d for SNA. No kidding I was involved in a car accident a week later. I was deemed at fault and received a moving violation for 160$ The ticket was paid already, no court appearance required. However I may be sued by the man i rear ended for property damage. Would this in anyway interfere with me going to OCS being that it happened right after a pro rec? I am currently enlisted btw no one has been able to really give me a clear answer.

bigbird

Biggest Bird
I'm obviously no lawyer and I defenitly am not an expert on pro rec's, however, the only issue I could see would be surrounding medical issues resulting from the accident. I don't know the weight of an outstanding lawsuit against you while trying to be at Newport at the same time but that could also be a potential issue. I would talk to your OR if you have one for sure and get some official feedback. Also @NavyOffRec and @RecruitingGuru probably have more sound advice than I will ever even come close to giving.

Fenris78

I'm obviously no lawyer and I defenitly am not an expert on pro rec's, however, the only issue I could see would be surrounding medical issues resulting from the accident. I don't know the weight of an outstanding lawsuit against you while trying to be at Newport at the same time but that could also be a potential issue. I would talk to your OR if you have one for sure and get some official feedback. Also @NavyOffRec and @RecruitingGuru probably have more sound advice than I will ever even come close to giving.
Thank you. I guess I should add that there are no injuries just pretty bad damage on the vehicles. So medical shouldn’t be a problem.

exNavyOffRec

Hello, I had recently been pro rec’d for SNA. No kidding I was involved in a car accident a week later. I was deemed at fault and received a moving violation for 160$ The ticket was paid already, no court appearance required. However I may be sued by the man i rear ended for property damage. Would this in anyway interfere with me going to OCS being that it happened right after a pro rec? I am currently enlisted btw no one has been able to really give me a clear answer.
Why would he sue you? you have insurance correct? unless the damage exceeds your insurance coverage you should be fine, now if you have the Gecko you may have an issue if what happens often is if they under insured you to get you a good monthly payment.

Fenris78

Unfortunately I am underinsured with Geico. I didn’t know much about it, wish I would of researched more. I’m just concerned if I do get sued for more money will this hinder me from going to OCS?

exNavyOffRec

Unfortunately I am underinsured with Geico. I didn’t know much about it, wish I would of researched more. I’m just concerned if I do get sued for more money will this hinder me from going to OCS?

Not sure how long until you are supposed to leave but it can take many months until the point of lawsuit arises, how much are you insured for and how much was the car you hit?

Fenris78

how old, it really depends if it is totaled as to how screwed you are, I would look up the KBB value and then start setting aside money.
Good advice, I just hope if I am sued it shouldn’t interfere with anything involving OCS or flight training. I am prepared to deal with the financial consequences.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Yes it could impact your ship date, ask the OCS processor for more clarity and guidance.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
For the OP, your insurance and the other parties insurance are going to battle it out to pay for the property damage.
The at-fault determination in the civil traffic matter is not necessarily dispositive in any insurance litigation.
As long as there was no personal injury, you have very little exposure.
Sure, in the other party could come after you in civil court and get a civil judgment (lien), but that process likely costs more than the case is worth.
The filing fees alone for a suit in Florida are several hundred dollars, and attorneys fees would exceed the difference in coverage you mentioned above. The other party may have UM coverage too.

Not a big deal though. I don't see why you should be held up on a "maybe".
Disclaimer, I practice in Florida.

exNavyOffRec

That is a good point, the other parties insurance will probably pay the difference and then go after the OP, most likely sending a bill. Depending on the company they could pursue for years, my insurance tried to get the 4500 from the uninsured person that hit us for like 3 years. I was surprised they would look for her for that long but as it was told to me, the company has staff attorneys and they get paid whether they are in court or in the office.

I was thinking the other party would just file in small claims where the filing fee is cheap.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That is a good point, the other parties insurance will probably pay the difference and then go after the OP, most likely sending a bill. Depending on the company they could pursue for years, my insurance tried to get the 4500 from the uninsured person that hit us for like 3 years. I was surprised they would look for her for that long but as it was told to me, the company has staff attorneys and they get paid whether they are in court or in the office.

I was thinking the other party would just file in small claims where the filing fee is cheap.
Almost any judge in the US would grant you an extension while you are in OCS. Unless the judge was driving the crappy BMW...