• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Call me Stupid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason12

any type of info pertaining to a subject that may or may not be readily available...well at least that's what it seems to me. Like just usually some behind the scenes type of stuff that knoing it can put you equal or maybe a little ahead of the common folk

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the aviation community, gouge is information that is passed on that is used as a study aid in preparation for any of the events that you may need to study for. There is a lot of written gouge out there, that covers the material in many of the tests you are going to to take along the road to wings. Gouge can also be word of mouth pass down that you will recieve in the ready room, like "watch out for this, or you had better know this", etc... Just an overall gereric term for passing advice, words of wisdom, or in the form of actual notes on subjects.

The flip side, the saying that goes with gouge, is "Live by the gouge, die by the gouge". The gouge you may get from a shipmate is NOT NATOPs or whatever manual or class you are studying, and should NEVER be treated as the primary source. More as a supplementary source to make sure you got everything down pat the first time studying.

Hope that helps...

obyezyanka

Academics Gouge

I have a little over four months before I report to OCS. I am pretty squared away with the my PRT requirements, I am at least an excellent low on all the excercises.
I am a little worried about the academics. I studied hard for the OAR to get a rather average score of 49. Does anybody have any gouge on how to prepare academically? I know we can memorize all that stuff on the OCS site (I'm going to get around to doing that one of these days) but I was wondering if anybody knows about some books that we could read regarding Naval navigation, Naval history, etc, etc. These and other topics are part of the academics at OCS and I would think it would be a huge advantage to the candidate who read before some of books that reflect the course content. From what I have read, the number one reason why people roll from a class is not physical stuff, but because they didn't pass their tests. And since around 30-40% of people roll, it would seem to me an important thing to cover.
Any gouge would be helpful!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Holy resurrect an old thread batman!! Feb 2003, that was a good year....

I did NOT go through OCS, so I don't want to hazard a guess at what to study up for. Do countless ppl make it through (that failed to even successfully memorize the general orders of a sentry?) with minimal studying ahead of time, yes they do. From all that I have heard, and friends speaking on the matter, physical fitness is something you should NOT be trying to redress while going through OCS, good to hear that you are up to speed on that.

Maybe some other OCS guys and girls can chime in "if I knew then, what I knew now" kind of knowledge on preparation. For some reason, I think a lot of it will revolve around, man, I shouldn't have stressed out so much....

My 2 cents...

John

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
OCS academics is pure regurgitation... pump and dump... take your government issue highlighter and go through the book 3 times and you'll get a 100.

API is a little different.. they try to trip you up and ask tricky questions... so you can't pass these tests on familiarity alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.