• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bush's "NEW BUDGET" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahler

Another consideration is if you are a BDCP'er or not. Time in BDCP counts as time in service (pay, time to retirement, etc.). For example, I will be in the BDCP for two years on 28 April, but I don't start OCS until 4 May. Therefore, I'll be getting E-5 pay with two years of service through OCS and when I graduate I'll be pulling O-1 pay with two years service. BDCP has all sorts of benifits!!!

James

Edited by - mahler on 02/07/2002 11:53:19

Mahler

Oh really??? I didn't think we were accumulating leave while in the program. That kicks a$$.

James

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
James,

Not only are you earning leave, you will be getting O1E pay when you get commisioned. So look at O1E pay over 2 when looking at the pay scale.

Dave

Paul Burke

I am Pap. It's going to freak me out being saluted as well. I'll be getting O1E pay. I spent 4 years active and got out as an AMS3. What will be really exciting for me is being able to wear those gold wings.

gunnerdd972

Pap I am also prior enlisted. I was in the Navy for four years. I left active duty as a GM2(SW), Gunners Mate Second class surface warfare, for you grunt types. I think that the hardest thing I will have to get used to is hanging out with other officers. I think I will still want to hang with the blue shirts. Any of you offcers that where enlisted have any problems becoming an officer?

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Paul Burke

I don't think that getting along with the other officers will be that big a deal. The ones that I noticed that had problems with the other officers were the guys that spent a long time enlisted and became LDO's. The only one's I'm kinda worried about is the academy grads. I knew a few of them while I was in and they all had the most piss poor, self righteous attitudes of anyone I have ever met. A real holier than thou attitude. I do know that the respect level from the E's will definitely be there. I was talking with the local enlisted recruiters here while I was applying for OCS and spent quite a few hours talking with them and the deppers. It was very fulfilling that everyone was talking and sharing their experiences without the pc attitude ever rearing it's head. I think that the more common the experiences, like college life, the easier it is to get along and get better acquainted with others is.

Thomas B

hey guys today was my first day on this site and I can't stop reading this site. I need to get off of here before my eyes go bad on me. I to was also prior enlisted (AD3) and from what I remember and experienced the aviation officers were the best all around well liked by us enlisted guys. As far as Shoe's they are a different breed. When I went on West-Pac back in 96 on the USS Camden we (the air-dels, O's included) did not get along with the shoe's. I remmber It got so bad that the only time anyone was civil with one of us was when they were asking if we were getting mail for that day. Our pilots would leave mail on the Vinson just to piss them off! That was how different it was. In our Cruise book they wrote a paragraph on the entire air-det saying how piss poor we were because they wanted us to use our last port of call in Hawaii to take pic on base in a uniform and nobody showed up! It is way too funny. I wished I had a way of posting it on here because I think yall all would get a good laugh.

As far as the Academy guys go. I only met one that I really didn't care for. Most Air-dels are really cool.

Thomas

Fly Navy!!

Paul Burke

I agree that most of the airdales are well balanced and all around good guys. I think that there is a certain humbleness that comes along with it.

Pap- I don't officially qualify as a Mustang. In order to be a Mustang you can't have any break in active duty. I got out and then went to school.

Edited by - Paul Burke on 02/09/2002 05:52:12

Paul Burke

Yeah, I had heard all prior enlisted officers be called Mustangs before as well. It's common to hear that. This is from the National Mustang Association:

What is the definition of a "Mustang?"
The NMA has committed a lot time into researching the definition of a "Mustang" Officer and the best combined definition from several sources is an Officer promoting from the ranks of Navy enlisted personnel with no interruption in their active duty status. It is also accepted the Mustang Officer normally was a career intended enlisted member of the Navy having earned one or more Good Conduct Medals prior to commissioning.

I don't know how to interpret that last part about the good conduct medal. I don't have one though so I guess I'm not on that boat

Thomas B

I have always been told that anyone who was prior enlisted and then commissioned would be considered a "Mustang"! Never heard about the 'good conduct medal' part of it. I have a good conduct medal so I wander if I will be a Mustang? It really doesn't matter as long as I get commissioned and earn my wings of gold!

Well I only have 6 weeks until I start OCS! I have been doing good thus far as running and push-ups. I think when I do the PRT that my run will be much faster just because I will be able to judge my pace better with someone who is faster than me.

later

Thomas

Edited by - Thomas B on 02/09/2002 19:44:13

Status
Not open for further replies.