• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brunswick

sumrluvr4

Looking for some info or tips on housing/renting in Brunswick/Portland.
Anyone living there currently or have you in the past? Is base housing worth it or know of anything good out in town... Thanks!

Rocky3168

when i was there during my 1/c aviation cruise 2 years ago all of the single JO's lived down in portland by the waterfront area. ( I foget the name but its where all the bars are). All of the the married guys with families lived by base, but its only a 30 min drive from base to Portland. Its a beautiful town so i would suggest living there even if you are married because there is more to do.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
A good portion of the single guys up here live around Old Port- basically downtown Portland. Base housing is pretty decent, check a thread about Brunswick in the private Orion forum for more. Married guys live inbase housing or in town Brunswick/Bath/Topsham/Freeport/Yarmouth depending on what you want to spend. You really have to come up here to check thigns out, do not rely on internet/newspaper.

thull

A beautiful place to live in Portland is on the East End, near the Eastern Promenade. It's about 3/4 mile out of town up on a hill (called Munjoy Hill), but feels like you're 10 miles out of town. Grassy areas and fields looking right out over the ocean. You can even walk to the Old Port and get bombed if you want. if its just two of you, check out apartments with Dirigo Management near the Eastern Promenade. Apartments I'm thinking of aren't huge, but very nice and nicely situated. I lived in the area for 14 months- great location. $750 for 2bedroom 900+ sq ft hardwood floors 2 yrs ago, but more like 775 or 800 now I'm guessing.

Ace_Austin

pilot
I live, and was rasied around an hour and a half North of NASB. The housing in the Bath/Burnswick area is fairly priced for the most part. There are some pretty slammin double wides avalible I'm sure pretty locally. You may laugh, but for about what you pay for an apartment other places you can geta decent trailer, and even have somthing that passes for a yard to BBQ in.

sumrluvr4

Thanks for the info guys. I think we will wait til we get up there - just wish we could get there before we actually move to check things out.... oh well. :)

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I know nothing about the housing, but you need to try Rapid Ray's in Saco. Best burgers ever.

Rubiks06

pilot
I grew up in south portland, jsut across the bridge from portland. The old port is a great area but your going to pay to live there. Also be careful renting in the Munjoy hill area Portland is hardly a rough city but there are some pretty sketchy areas and that can definately be one of them. The old port is def has a great bar scene with everything from little hole in the wall microbrews to upscale night clubs, well as upscale as you can get for Maine. Anyway, there are some nice town houses and appartments either side of the bridge in portland or if you branch out into Cape Elizabeth/ South portland that are probably a little less $$ than right down town on the water. Might be a bit farther away but real close to 295 (straight shot to brunswick `20 minutes) and still within a 5 dollar cab ride of the old port.
If you like good cheap beer and a pretty cool atmoshphere Gritty's is the place and Bills pizza is great when your wasted and looking to curb the beer munchies at two in the morning. Hope this helps.