• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bronco II

joe dirt

pilot
Attack helos are nice, but can't carry the right ordnance needed to really blast a small enemy position. Also, there is something to be said about hauling around a JTAC/FO in the air as the VMOs used to do. Their eyes and skills are always welcome.
Wat? A section of Cobras/Apaches (spit) can carry 32 HELLFIRE, probably enough to deal with your “small”enemy position or battalion of tanks. Additionally we’ve already got several FAC(A) capable platforms and buying a new aircraft on the basis of it being a good platform for JTACs or FOs is silly.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Wat? A section of Cobras/Apaches (spit) can carry 32 HELLFIRE, probably enough to deal with your “small”enemy position or battalion of tanks. Additionally we’ve already got several FAC(A) capable platforms and buying a new aircraft on the basis of it being a good platform for JTACs or FOs is silly.
The systems you note are fantastic and their crews for the most part unquestionably brave, but the hellfire ain't the be-all-end-all of ground attack. I mean 32 hellfires doesn't even equal 700 lbs. of HE on traget. Moreover, both ships I am told are hard to handle in the mountains of Afghanistan where they have to climb to get to the fight.

Look, I am not asking the fleet to replace a every F/A-18 with a turboprop, I just think having a few around might be handy. Besides, we could use them at airshows when the F-35 guys are busy establishing air superiority over the Spratley's during the opening days of the Amer-Sino War.

hscs

pilot
So the AC-130 can’t fill this niche?
Yes - but costs more (bigger plane and bigger crew), and AC130s are SOCOM vice USAF. The bill for the airframe goes to USAF and the bill for the gucci stuff goes to SOCOM/AFSOC. I would wager that USAF doesn't want to buy more -130 airframes, and Tampa doesn't want to expand its gunship numbers.

jmcquate

Contributor
Whatever replaces the A-10 (and this is about replacing the A-10), will have to be a USAF platform. My hunch is the USAF's distaste for the letter A will be the largest impediment to any proposal that is put forward.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Also, Dude, that is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.
Sorry, I didn't think we'd want to fight ALL the Asians at once...just the "Sinos." I would be willing to accept the China-American War, the War of the Philippine Sea, the War of Trump's Hair, or WW (insert appropriate number here).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry, I didn't think we'd want to fight ALL the Asians at once...just the "Sinos." I would be willing to accept the China-American War, the War of the Philippine Sea, the War of Trump's Hair, or WW (insert appropriate number here).
c35.gif

“So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know . . .” :p

BarryD

Contributor
"Walter, this isn't a guy who built the fucking railroads here, this is a guy . . . Walter, he peed on my rug!"