• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Break in service recommendations

snake020

Contributor
STA-21 favors nukes almost exclusively, so plan for OCS.

I don't know how long you have been in, but one piece of advice is make sure you don't let your IRR time expire, if you do then medically you will be looked at as if any issues you had a new issues, if you are inside your IRR or affiliate with the reserves any medical issues you have been diagnosed with should go much smoother.
That's incomplete gouge. If you file for and get a VA rating and then go into the IRR, they will make you MEPS from scratch as well.

If no rating, then yes, as described.

Only class and some NROTC-specific meetings once every few weeks along with once a month Saturday 'military training' sessions that were usually sitting in a classroom or on the occasional field trip. Definitely no fundraising, didn't know that was a thing. I went to a military college though where much of the stuff mentioned was already done through the school so it would have been redundant to do with the unit. We didn't even get issued Navy uniforms much less wear them, except for summer cruises, and our midshipmen 'command structure' was at best semi-formal. Being a Marine-dominated unit probably helped with much of the focus on them, we were one of the few commanded by a Marine Colonel and usually commissioned more Marines than Navy.

The 10-15 hours a week just surprises me a little, seems like a lot more than I had heard about from my more normal ROTC grads.
Depends on the unit. The unit I was with encouraged such stupidity, and ended up losing a number of candidates who spent too much time on ROTC BS activities and not enough on their academics.

Use your GI Bill to get you through college and then apply for either BDCP or the direct OCS route.

NROTC is not a bad route but being that the GI Bill covers tuition and a decent living allowance, there’s not really a need to do NROTC.

Whatever route you do, use common sense - ie don’t do drugs, get in trouble, etc.
Reasonable options, but any opportunity to preserve GI Bill benefits (e.g. NROTC or other scholarship, BDCP) is encouraged as it gives the option later of using GI Bill for graduate school.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

That's incomplete gouge. If you file for and get a VA rating and then go into the IRR, they will make you MEPS from scratch as well.

If no rating, then yes, as described.
I see what you mean, I was referring to a person that is coming off AD and still inside their MSO as opposed to letting their MSO expire then trying to re-affiliate IRR.

snake020

Contributor
I see what you mean, I was referring to a person that is coming off AD and still inside their MSO as opposed to letting their MSO expire then trying to re-affiliate IRR.
If you transition into the IRR without a break in service, it doesn't matter. If you're looking to affiliate with SELRES or go active again and have a VA rating, they treat you as broken and subject you to the full pleasantries of MEPS rather than letting you do a physical with a military treatment facility.

GA20

If you transition into the IRR without a break in service, it doesn't matter. If you're looking to affiliate with SELRES or go active again and have a VA rating, they treat you as broken and subject you to the full pleasantries of MEPS rather than letting you do a physical with a military treatment facility.
I believe exNavyOffRec means the first I think 6 months (could be longer) after active duty and affiliating with the IRR you are good to go with whatever VA rating you have... after that period if you have a VA rating and in IRR then you will have to go through MEPS to reaffiliate in SELRES or active duty

exNavyOffRec

I believe exNavyOffRec means the first I think 6 months (could be longer) after active duty and affiliating with the IRR you are good to go with whatever VA rating you have... after that period if you have a VA rating and in IRR then you will have to go through MEPS to reaffiliate in SELRES or active duty
I am only talking about if a person that has a 4-6 year commitment leaves AD and finishes out their MSO which is 8 years, to continue IRR after the 8 year MSO is something I would not know the ins and outs on.

GA20

I am only talking about if a person that has a 4-6 year commitment leaves AD and finishes out their MSO which is 8 years, to continue IRR after the 8 year MSO is something I would not know the ins and outs on.
Ahhhh okay they must have changed the medical requirements since I've been IRR. They required a medical screening at MEPs if someone passed a certain amount of time after active duty and had a VA disability (even if it was 0%). It didn't matter if they were under their MSO or not.

That is a good change they made for the medical requirement