• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Branding of a Successful Naval Aviator?

KevlarSac

I have been privileged with the opportunity to become a Marine Corps Aviator through PLC Aviation Program. I am set to leave for OCS in a couple weeks. As I near closer to my ship date, I have been asking myself what do I want my personal brand to be as a Marine Corps Officer and specifically as an aviator. When I was enlisted I could see my NCO’s preform and I was able develop my own brand based off their performance. I learned a lot about myself coming through the ranks. Some of it was hard to swallow, especially when it comes directly from your peers. I improved slowly but gradually and when it was my time to lead and everybody was cold, wet, tired, and hungry; the section succeeded in our shared misery. When I reached my EAS our mortar section was recognized as the best in the battalion and I passed as much knowledge on to hopefully carry on that success.

A few years later I am coming back to a familiar Marine Corps, but to a new community. I have only had a few brief interactions with aviators. I was the FAC’s radio operator on one field op, talking on the radio to the pilots once or twice (which was very easy because of their calm demeanor), hip pocket classes on the boat, and they bought our whole company pizza when we were doing raids in 29 (which is when I realized they are the coolest officers around)

Now that I am embarking on a new challenge I am curious as to what is the brand of a successfully Naval Aviator? I understand it is a broad question because success is defined differently by everyone, but any insight is appreciated.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I have been privileged with the opportunity to become a Marine Corps Aviator through PLC Aviation Program. I am set to leave for OCS in a couple weeks. As I near closer to my ship date, I have been asking myself what do I want my personal brand to be as a Marine Corps Officer and specifically as an aviator. When I was enlisted I could see my NCO’s preform and I was able develop my own brand based off their performance. I learned a lot about myself coming through the ranks. Some of it was hard to swallow, especially when it comes directly from your peers. I improved slowly but gradually and when it was my time to lead and everybody was cold, wet, tired, and hungry; the section succeeded in our shared misery. When I reached my EAS our mortar section was recognized as the best in the battalion and I passed as much knowledge on to hopefully carry on that success.

A few years later I am coming back to a familiar Marine Corps, but to a new community. I have only had a few brief interactions with aviators. I was the FAC’s radio operator on one field op, talking on the radio to the pilots once or twice (which was very easy because of their calm demeanor), hip pocket classes on the boat, and they bought our whole company pizza when we were doing raids in 29 (which is when I realized they are the coolest officers around)

Now that I am embarking on a new challenge I am curious as to what is the brand of a successfully Naval Aviator? I understand it is a broad question because success is defined differently by everyone, but any insight is appreciated.

As a student talk less and listen more...

3 keys of success in a squadron:
1) Be a good stick
2) Have a good personality/bar act
3) Be good at your ground job.

You need 2 of the 3 to be successful in a squadron. 3/3 and you’re a rockstar, 1/3 and you’re eff’d.

KevlarSac

Put on your jorts, braid belt and polo shirt. Shave the side of your head while leaving just a small tuff of hair on top. Practice your yuts, oorahs, and devil dogs to get the perfect tone. Ensure your knife hand is razor sharp. Paint everything red and gold. Have plenty of silkies.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

jmcquate

Contributor
As a prior E, start by being a leader and mentor to your platoon at OCS. The rest of them are going to be scared and confused college kids for the first few weeks. Help them with the little things. Uniforms, inspections, cleaning weapons, drill, all of that kind of shit. The staff will be looking for that. We had an E-5 in ours and his mentoring was invaluable to us.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Put on your jorts, braided belt and polo shirt. Shave the side of your head while leaving just a small tuff of hair on top. Practice your yuts, oorahs, and devil dogs to get the perfect tone. Ensure your knife hand is razor sharp. Paint everything red and gold. Have plenty of silkies.

Nice, but I’d rather be all of those things rather than fat, bitter, and washed up like you buddy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Nice, but I’d rather be all of those things rather than fat, bitter, and washed up like you buddy.
I’ll readily admit to being fat but the rest is debatable. Life is great and awesomely fun. No regrets and I wouldn’t change a thing including my time in the Navy.

Get a sense of humor, it makes life easier. Or would that make you less of a Marine? (Visualize me doing knife hands while you read the last two sentences.)

Hotdogs

pilot
I’ll readily admit to being fat but the rest is debatable. Life is great and awesomely fun. No regrets and I wouldn’t change a thing including my time in the Navy.

Get a sense of humor, it makes life easier. Or would that make you less of a Marine? (Visualize me doing knife hands while you read the last two sentences.)

I have a sense of humor. I just didn’t find your joke funny... and not in the “oh he is making fun of the Corps...so rawrrrr I’m angry” kinda way but in the I just didn’t find it comical and you don’t have any fresh material. Marines are a bunch of motards and I’ll be the first to admit it. Maybe try switching up your magazine with something original. Also, be less fat. It’s bad for your health.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
@KevlarSac as you can see perfectly demonstrated here, nobody likes a douchenozzle Marine who can’t take a fucking joke (even if it is unoriginal) about his service. Thick skin goes far, don’t take life too seriously, take care of your people, and lead from the front.

And don’t forget your silkies...
Pickle

Hotdogs

pilot
@KevlarSac as you can see perfectly demonstrated here, nobody likes a douchenozzle Marine who can’t take a fucking joke (even if it is unoriginal) about his service. Thick skin goes far, don’t take life too seriously, take care of your people, and lead from the front.

And don’t forget your silkies...
Pickle

Jesus... somebody is triggered....

Hotdogs

pilot
I know, you really went off on the fat guy...not sure what he did to set you off. Was it the “jorts” comment?

Totally the jorts comment. I thought we all had thick skin here? or are we just mad I tee’d off on a senior citizen?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Dude- just realize that no one really cares about your prior time. Own it, because it's who you are, but don't think that it makes you better than anyone else.

Remember that you're only as good as your last flight, and you're only as good as the dudes who will have you. Everyone fails a flight, it's your friends that will make sure you're ready for the refly.

I just had dinner last night with the guy who I flew forms with in primary. Before last night we hadn't seen each other in 5 years. It was a great night.

Be the dude that your form partner will want to see in 5 years when you're swinging through on TAD to some conference.