• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Both in the Navy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

klpilot

Anyone know how well it works to have both wife/huband or BF/GF in the Navy? How about both SNA? Does the Navy eventually try to place you close together? Just considering where to go with my future. Thanks!

~Kelly

I would say 100 times harder just being in the Navy. We personally know two couples who are both pilots one who are both in the Navy and the other one Navy one Air Force.
I have been told they take it into connsideration, but nothing is guaranteed. The all Navy couple while living in the same location are currently on opposite deployment schedules. Meaning, while one is on deploymnet the other is doing workups for deployment and will be leaving while the other is coming back. Basically, you are looking at not seeing each other only here and there. That takes an amazing amount of strength!
The other couple I was told hadn't lived together the first four years they were married!
To be able to pull it off successfully you both would have to be 1-SUPER HUMAN 2-not willing to make it a career (20 year retirement)for at least one of you, in my oppinion.
At least the couples we know aren't.
Hope this helps!
spin_125.gif

twidget

Deskaholic
BF/GF doesn't mean a thing to the Navy, but for husbands and wives there is a policy called "spousal co-location". They usually do a very good job of finding billets in the same geographic area (around 50 miles seperation at most) for spouses. They also usually stagger the rotations so that one person is at a deployable unit (ship, sub, squadron) while the other is on shore duty. This is especially important when children are involved. With either single parents or dual military couples, they are required to fill out Dependancy Care Certificates stating who will care for the children during short-term and long-term absences. This form must be signed by the care provider to confirm they are actually willing to follow through.
If the Navy is stations both sailors to deployable units, and the parents are unwilling/unable to find someone to care for their children for long periods, the Navy must discharge one of the parents (needs of the Navy decides who goes).
Back to your original question, BF/GF are at the mercy of the detailers, husbands and wives usually get stationed near each other, BUT don't count on it for a full career. There will be stretches of seperation, possibly 1 or 2 assignments in 20 years.

HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST.

unfUSN

I knowa couple, he's an NFO and she's a pilot. He's stationed at Whitby IS, and she's in Japan.

I think that it's easier for couples in other communities to get co-located, but from what I've seen beeing married as aviators in the Navy is tough.

LTJG Payne

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I'm an SNA in Kingsville, my fiance will report to API in October (anyone's guess when he might start). We're getting married in December, his orders right now have him going to Corpus for Primary, so that will be good... But no guarantees while either of us is in the training command. Beyond that, I've heard that co-location can mean they try to station you on the same coast. Fine, but Jacksonville isn't really all that close to Norfolk... They can't put you in the same airwing (no couples on the same boat). I have heard, however, of a husband and wife (students) both in the same VT. I'm not sure if any of this provides any good information to you, but there are a few of us out there in the same boat. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.