• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone stay at any of the Norfolk Qs lately? I'm going to be babysitting Midshipmen there for 5 weeks this summer.
279af1e2564b709adc8adb7bf4c2df3605906c143c472dd1df3b0027af5dacb0.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Anyone stay at any of the Norfolk Qs lately? I'm going to be babysitting Midshipmen there for 5 weeks this summer.

Last time I stayed there was 2012, though I doubt much has changed in the years I've been stationed here. There are a couple Gateways on base, but Ely Hall/BOQ (across from the old O'Club) is pretty standard as far as Qs go. Full bed, flat screen tv, okay WiFi, microwave and mini fridge. No place to drink nearby on base. NEX is close by, but drive to most things you'll want to go to.

I'll add in a quick review of the Whiting Field Q. All suites with kitchenette, flat screen, okay wifi. Stayed there on s vacation a few years ago on our way through.

azguy

None

Roach city- stay on the highest floor you can.

BT

Recommend cab/Uber to Ghent whenever possible. It's really the only thing to do in the area and the fare isn't too bad from base.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stay at Ely most drill weekends. I don't think it's changed in the last 13 years. Wall Manor (the Shoe Q) has been overhauled in the last few years and is walking distance to the food court, galley and gym.

If you're extended stay in Norfolk, gouge is the Gateway over on the Fleet Forces/NSAHR side. They're set up for long term students at JFSC. Suites, three to a building, with a full shared kitchen.

hummerhole

None

For 5 weeks, I hope they dont make you stay at Ely Hall. The only thing you're close to is the flight line, a gas station/mini NEX (a half mile down the road), and what used to be the Officers Club right across the street (when I was there, the lunch was still decent..and they did have beer).

No matter what azguy says, there is a lot do in Norfolk (I say this, and I live in Mugu). If I recall, during the summer they have a lot of festivals in downtown Norfolk at some park (at least 2 beer and 2 wine festivals) . There is chicks beach (Aka the Chesapeake Bay) which is a pretty good beach actually and has a few good bars. There are some really good restaurants both in Ghent and downtown Norfolk.

And there is always Virginia Beach about 20 minutes away.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Thanks guys - I'll keep my fingers crossed and my food hermetically sealed (roaches...).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wall Manor sucks, Ely is still nice (though it has a classic musty smell to it) and the 'VIP' quarters are nice if you can get them.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Last time I stayed there was 2012, though I doubt much has changed in the years I've been stationed here. There are a couple Gateways on base, but Ely Hall/BOQ (across from the old O'Club) is pretty standard as far as Qs go. Full bed, flat screen tv, okay WiFi, microwave and mini fridge. No place to drink nearby on base. NEX is close by, but drive to most things you'll want to go to.

I'll add in a quick review of the Whiting Field Q. All suites with kitchenette, flat screen, okay wifi. Stayed there on s vacation a few years ago on our way through.
Norfolk used to have some long term Qs over by Admiral's row that are suites with a "full" kitchen. You had to request them by name.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Norfolk used to have some long term Qs over by Admiral's row that are suites with a "full" kitchen. You had to request them by name.

Decatur Hall? Those are the 'VIP' rooms I was thinking of, they are really nice and some have kitchen suites.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Decatur Hall? Those are the 'VIP' rooms I was thinking of, they are really nice and some have kitchen suites.
I can't remember the building name. They certainly didn't seem "VIP" but they were nice enough for a few month stay. There's also a house you can rent on Norfolk.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dam Neck has two new NGIS that are pretty nice. One’s right on the beach.
Does the one right next to the DEVGRU compound gate still have that weird en-suite setup where the shower is by the toilet, but the bathroom sink is in the bedroom?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@nittany03 I think you’re describing the rooms in the Navy Lodge, which is still there. Did it have a full size kitchen w/ vinyl flooring? They renovated and reopened another NGIS about 50 meters due east of the Navy Lodge. It’s literally right on the beach.