• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing 747 "WHALE" -- a.k.a. The Whale's Tails (sic)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's see what airports spend millions to adjust to the A380's size.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Let's see what airports spend millions to adjust to the A380's size.
I heard this won't be an issue because what Airbus did was take the maximum size "box" of space an airliner is allowed per gate on the ground, then designed their plane to fit these dimensions. Anyone confirm/deny this?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lonestar155 said:
i wonder what effects turbulance will have on this aircraft? Does anyone know how many feet long the jet is?

Better yet, I wonder what kind of wake turbulence this thing creates.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
i heard some had to adjust a little. as far as fitting in the box it can, but to handle the flux of all the baggage and passengers you need upgrades.

all airbus wanted to do was fit it into the 747 size area to make the terminals generally happy, but as you can see there will need to be upgrades.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,144683,00.html

[/QUOTE]

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Will this make a difference in runway length? Won't runways that normally handle 747 have to be lengthened in order to accomodate the A380?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Model: AIRBUS 380 --- BOEING 747-400

# Of Pax: --- 555 --- 400
Max Gw: --- 1,234,600# --- 875,000#
Max Speed: --- M 0.89 --- M 0.92
Range (nm): --- 8,150 --- 8,432
Length: --- 239.5' --- 231.8'

source: Commercial Jets Specifications I question some of the specs/figures -- it's copyright @ 2000. But then there are always "variants" of the basic model --- engnes, configurations, etc., which will change these basic numbers.

Airbus is advertising a 13% lower fuel burn for the 380 than ... its "closest competitor" -- I wonder who that is? -- and that is a HUGE item today with the recent spike in fuel prices. Airbus' greatest advantage over Boeing is the level of government support. That has always been Airbus' competitive ace-in-the-hole.

Airbus first began studies on a very large 500 seat airliner in the early 1990s. The European manufacturer saw developing a competitor and successor to the Boeing 747 as a strategic play to end Boeing's dominance of the very large airliner market and round out Airbus' product line-up.

Key design aims include the ability to use existing airport and runway infrastructure with little modifications to the airports, and direct operating costs per seat 15-20% less than those for the 747-400. With 49% more floor space and only 35% more seating than the previous largest aircraft, Airbus is ensuring wider seats and aisles for more passenger comfort .... allowing room for passenger amenities such as bars, gymnasiums and duty free shops. (WHAT !!! How about including the layover hotel ??? -- A4s)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Whale Replaced By "guppy"?

boeing-747-01-thumb.jpg
0,1445,177538,00.jpg
The world's biggest passenger aircraft was unveiled today at the Airbus factory in Toulouse, France, 10 years after concept of the 555-seat double decker was first put on paper. The aircraft is expected to make its first flight in March, 2005.

First class takes up the front section of the main deck, which also includes a grand staircase leading to business class on the upper deck. A spiral staircase connects a duty-free shop at the rear of the lower deck to a bar above. The showroom mock-up even features a waterfall, for God's sake !!! AHHhhh ... those French!

But the flying cruise ship "ain't gonna' happen" in an industry that must squeeze every cent out of its aircraft --- cram as many seats in them as possible is today's reality. The "new" airline reality is all about getting the lowest seat mile cost possible, and you generate that by pushing more seats into the cabin, not grand staircases and duty-free shops, unfortunately.

Airbus maintains that the new aircraft will be compatible with current Boeing 747-friendly airport facilities, but at the upward end of the passenger capacity capabilities of the A380 --- but do these "smart guys" ever use the facilities or fly the routes? Can you imagine rolling into LAX in the morning only to find 2500 people from other A380's ahead of you waiting to clear US CUSTOMS? Huh??? Can you ???

It breaks my heart (I love the Boeing 747) , but airlines are already voting with their wallets in favour of the A380 over the Boeing 747-400 it is destined to replace. A total of 149 orders have been received from 14 airlines and leasing companies, mainly in the Middle East and Asia Pacific, while orders for the passenger versions of the 747 have basically dried up. The early guess is that the A380 will be the new queen of the skies in every sense, ending the 747's 36-year reign as the holder of that title. Boeing, on the other hand, sees demand for only 400 jets larger than its 747 over the next two decades, as air passengers increasingly gravitate toward direct flights aboard a new generation of smaller, long-range jets like its planned 7E7.

But despite its proportions, the A380 will fly from the same runways as the 747, will be more fuel efficient, burning 10% less fuel per passenger for every 100 miles flown, while supposedly creating half the noise and carrying about 150 more people. We shall see ... Airbus would like to describe the A380 as a thing of beauty, but in all honesty, aesthetics are not going to be its stong suit --- the "Whale" will be positively sleek and beautiful by comparison -- my opinion.

So what's all this talk about "overcapacity" hurting the airlines' bottom line ??? Why is a new aircraft coming onboard that could conceivably increase capacity in wide-body fleets by 50%? I certainly do not know the answer --- I suspect some of it is as easy as Airbus' long-range strategy of taking away the long-haul mantle from Boeing. And then it also possible, that in two years' time, when the first of these hit the ramp that the world's economy will be expanding at its projected rapid rate and you won't be able to find enough airline seats.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
A4sForever said:
Airbus' greatest advantage over Boeing is the level of government support. That has always been Airbus' competitive ace-in-the-hole.

I read in the paper, yesterday, where the European Union trade office is now threatening Thailand with trade sanctions against their fishing industy if they do not buy 10 A-380s. Not only are they insensitive enough to extort the Thais, but they are going to extort them during the wake of one their largest natural disasters in history. Is it me or does this smack of something that the old Soviet Union would have done?

I watched a program on Discovery Wings late last year about the construction of the A-380. The wings are built in England, shipped across the channel in a special barge, floated up the Siene?, to Toulouse. The fuselage is built in Germany, flown by plane, a plane that is an Air Bus rip off of the Boeing Super Guppy, to France, then trucked to the final assembly area. Yeah, that is the effiecent, cost effective way to run a business, but hey when you are government subsidised you don't have to worry about it. And they ***** about the military contracts that Boeing gets. :icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Views from the "office"

..... heading down to Taipei, "trash-haulin'" on the freighter ..... Fujiyama, far and near(er), Taipei on final.

(note the switchback(s) on the mouth of the crater ... suprised me)

Attachments

• DSC000291.JPG
    DSC000291.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 47
  • SChina Sea 6-2002 0131.jpg
    SChina Sea 6-2002 0131.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 57
  • SChina Sea 6-2002 0201.jpg
    SChina Sea 6-2002 0201.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 45