• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Better credentials = higher priority for BDCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeAE2005

I'm currently attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University down in Daytona Beach, Florida. I recently learned from the Naval Aviation club that there are not many BDCP slots left in the southeast region, if any, and that I would likely be placed on a "list" of some sort.

My question is, if my application is better than those that were submitted before mine, will mine "move up" on the list, even though mine was turned in last?

Also, to get an idea of where I stand and what my chances will be (to get into BDCP), how do my "credentials" look? By the way, I'm trying to get a guaranteed pilot slot.

Sophomore at Embry Riddle
Cum GPA 3.909
Majoring in Aerospace Engineering
Valedictorian of High school
Embry Riddle Presidential Scholarship
Newell-Rubbermaid Scholarship
Captain of Paintball Club Tournament Team
Bad eyesight (-3.25 diopters), will be getting PRK soon

Will I be taking the PRT before I apply for BDCP?

I'm not extremely worried about the PRT, I should be able to max out the PU's and SU's. If I ran right now, I could probably get the 1.5 mile run in 11 minutes, but will definately be training for the 8:30 min high outstanding mark.

As I said earlier, I am a sophomore in college, so I still have over 2 years left to get this BDCP. If I don't get into it before the start of my junior year, do you think I should join NROTC?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Joe

Goliath112

dude I think you should go NROTC right now...I hear that ERAU is starting a NROTC unit for August 2003. Why not go NROTC and save yourself he trip to OCS.

I find your lack of faith.....disturbing

Lord Vader

emart69

My recruiter told me if you have a 3.9 gpa and can pass the physical they will "make a spot" for you. Not sure thought with the bad eye sight.

Eric Martens

mot

I'm in kind of the same position as JoeAE2005. I have a high GPA, working on an engineering degree, and have some other good credentials. I am going to school in Rapid City and I have been having trouble keeping consistent contact with a navy recruiter. I am trying to get into the BDCP and I was suppose to take the ASTB last week, but when I arrived at the recruiting office, the Navy door was locked and the office was dark. The Army was across the hall and of course they had a good time with me, "Why would you want to be chased by SAM's when you can fly a helicopter?" "Wouldn't you rather be close the enemy you are fighting?" "The helicopters have the same engines as the jets you know." Thanks for the advice, but I want to be a fighter pilot. I will do anything to be a fighter pilot, even fly helicopters if I don't make (no offence to all the bad ass helicopter pilots). I guess my question is, what are the chances for someone like me? (before you answer, read the last paragraph)

Two other questions, I might be able to graduate a semester early because of credits from high school. Does anyone know if it would be advantageous for me to graduate in Dec '04 over May '05? More slots open in Dec compared to May?

Lastly, I have a back condition called Spondylolisthesis (or Spondylolysis). They think it was a condition I had from birth, but no one really knows anything about it. When I was younger I fell and twist my back. I had to sit out almost a whole soccer season because to the injury. I haven't had any problems for the last 8 years or so. I am very athletic, Soccer, Cross-country skiing, snowboarding, and have worked manual labor in the stucco business (very heavy lifting) for the last 3 summers. I researched as much as I could on the net about if the condition would DQ me, but I can't find a definitive answer. Some say if I don't have symptoms I can get a waiver, others say automatic DQ. Can anyone help, where to look, who to talk to? Also, is it common for someone like me to get into the Navy working towards being a pilot, hearing “Yeah, no problem with your condition, join, we’ll take care of you….” And then after I join hear I have an automatic DQ for piloting and I get stuck behind some desk? This is something I really want to do, but if I am not even going to be looked at for a pilot, I will stay a civilian and work behind a desk.

Thank for any help,

Just some kid

emart69

Mot,

I go to school in Rapid too, I imagine you go to the School of Mines. I am BDCP and graduating in May and will be off to OCS at the end of May. Who have you been dealing with for a Recruiter. Have you been talking to the local guys at the mall or have you been dealing with Chief Soukup. If you haven't been talking to Chief Soukup then I can hook you up with him. I also have some emails of some guys at NRD (navy recruiting district) in Omaha who may be able to answer some of your questions. Get in touch with me at martens36@rap.midco.net and I will give you the numbers, or you can email me and I will give you my number and I could possibly answer some of your questions about BDCP. I am going Civil Engineer Core instead of pilot so don't know alot about that but do know alot about BDCP and process.

Eric Martens

Status
Not open for further replies.