• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best ways to locate good PRK surgeons (Orlando, FL)?

Semisonic9

Topic.

A Google on this was pretty worthless. Just pulled up everybody's commercials. Isn't there some kind of ranking or independent grading/review system for this kind of stuff? I really don't want to trust my eyes to the guy who happens to have the slickest commercial ad or the best spot on Google.

What other ways can I use to find and rank surgeons in my area? And by "my area", I basically consider everything within 120 miles fair game.

Dive_pilot

I spent good deal of time looking for a quality surgeon for my PRK. It's worth noting that most doctors offering LASIK also offer PRK even though they don't promote it much so don't rule out any docs only listing LASIK. I'd imagine there'd be plenty of quality surgeons in the Orlando area but as for Tampa where I currently am I ended up choosing between two very high quality guys. The doc I ended up picking was involved in the first studies in the U.S. using the wavefront technology that the Navy uses in all of their PRK procedures and had some pretty outstanding credentials. I had to postpone my procedure because of some hassle w /BUMED so I can't speak for his work directly yet but if your search yields nothing satisfactory then he may be worth looking into. PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: As to answering your question. Google sucks and most doctor rating sites are useless. The best you can do is just judge based on the doc's listed credentials.

jtmedli

pilot
Topic.

A Google on this was pretty worthless. Just pulled up everybody's commercials. Isn't there some kind of ranking or independent grading/review system for this kind of stuff? I really don't want to trust my eyes to the guy who happens to have the slickest commercial ad or the best spot on Google.

What other ways can I use to find and rank surgeons in my area? And by "my area", I basically consider everything within 120 miles fair game.

Look up TLC laser eye centers. That's who did my PRK and they have been spectacular. My doc's have all been super-heroes considering my situation. FWIW mine was done in Greenville, SC so I know nothing about their Orlando contacts, but they are a network of Laser Eye Surgery centers with a pretty good rep.

sestvold

When I was searching for a doctor to do my eyes, I called all the offices in town. I asked prices, and number of surgeries they did per month. I asked the number of both PRK and Lasik. I asked the number of years they had been doing it. If more than one doctor was at each establishment, I asked which would do the surgery. I asked if they ever had complications, etc.

I then used my man sense to guide me to what I believed to be the best doc for my money. You have to take your people reading skills into consideration and your general trustworthiness of people.

nugget61

pilot
When I was searching for a doctor to do my eyes, I called all the offices in town. I asked prices, and number of surgeries they did per month. I asked the number of both PRK and Lasik. I asked the number of years they had been doing it. If more than one doctor was at each establishment, I asked which would do the surgery. I asked if they ever had complications, etc.

I then used my man sense to guide me to what I believed to be the best doc for my money. You have to take your people reading skills into consideration and your general trustworthiness of people.

If you do it this way, be sure to ask how big the operative area is on your eye.