• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best route for my circumstance

Montibank

Hey guys,
I am currently enrolled in a college that cannot do BCDP (too old for rotc, 25) and I recently decided that I really want to go Naval Aviator
I am prior service aircraft maintenance in the Airforce so parts of me feel pretty confident about certain aspects of this test, I just got back into college after like 5 years and im only on my second quarter so im rather shaky on my math skills at the moment.

I talked to a recruiter and he told me that I should take the ASTB sometime and if I get competitive scores to just focus on graduating as fast as possible

My options if I do good on the ASTB:

- Switch my current degree program (Computer Science) from 5 years to 4 years
- Switch to General Studies and graduate within 2 or less years ( I already have 100 quarter hours completed)
- Switch to a career focused degree for pilot (Physics etc) for 4 years
OR
-Switch colleges to a college that does not have an ROTC program so that I can do the BCDP program

My current GPA is 2.45, I just got back into college and got hit hard with life (getting out of the military etc) so I was pretty overwhelmed this quarter, this current quarter is going slightly better but still alot of life problems (mostly B grades right now)

The hunch I have is I have been studying for a couple of days now, other than math I feel alright with the other subjects, I had a hunch to take the test just to see where I am at.

I also want to figure out what im doing relatively fast (if I have to switch majors or not) etc because I could improve my grades much more if im not taking computer science classes, so im feeling a little pressured to take the test early.

What are some thoughts you guys have about this?

Another problem with this studying is it eats a big chunk of my time from studying for my classes so I feel like im already falling behind for classes

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It’s your life, go live it how you want. But you may want to consider:

- Getting a 4 year degree. Don’t shortchange yourself later in life with a 2 year “general studies” degree that doesn’t mean anything, but also don’t spend 5 years to earn a BA/BS degree. If you aren’t an engineering stud don’t kill yourself with engineering classes.

- Watch the clock. You need to be a certain age or younger to qualify for SNA or SNFO. Find out now if your timeline works, or adjust your timeline.

- Study for the ASTB. And study in general. You dug yourself a hole with your current GPA, and probably need to maintain >3.5 if you want to finish with >3.0.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey guys,
I am currently enrolled in a college that cannot do BCDP (too old for rotc, 25) and I recently decided that I really want to go Naval Aviator
I am prior service aircraft maintenance in the Airforce so parts of me feel pretty confident about certain aspects of this test, I just got back into college after like 5 years and im only on my second quarter so im rather shaky on my math skills at the moment.

I talked to a recruiter and he told me that I should take the ASTB sometime and if I get competitive scores to just focus on graduating as fast as possible

My options if I do good on the ASTB:

- Switch my current degree program (Computer Science) from 5 years to 4 years
- Switch to General Studies and graduate within 2 or less years ( I already have 100 quarter hours completed)
- Switch to a career focused degree for pilot (Physics etc) for 4 years
OR
-Switch colleges to a college that does not have an ROTC program so that I can do the BCDP program

My current GPA is 2.45, I just got back into college and got hit hard with life (getting out of the military etc) so I was pretty overwhelmed this quarter, this current quarter is going slightly better but still alot of life problems (mostly B grades right now)

The hunch I have is I have been studying for a couple of days now, other than math I feel alright with the other subjects, I had a hunch to take the test just to see where I am at.

I also want to figure out what im doing relatively fast (if I have to switch majors or not) etc because I could improve my grades much more if im not taking computer science classes, so im feeling a little pressured to take the test early.

What are some thoughts you guys have about this?

Another problem with this studying is it eats a big chunk of my time from studying for my classes so I feel like im already falling behind for classes

Your priority first and foremost should be boosting the GPA. A 2.4 isn’t going to cut it for any program including naval aviation.

Montibank

Like I said this only my first quarter grade, I hit the ground running because its been since 2018 since I was in classes, I expect it to go back up and I can retake classes to boost gpa

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Take the tests and apply for an SNA/SNFO slot at OCS. As for your education, get a degree in something you can finish as quickly as possible but can serve you later in life. Maybe something above General Studies but below Physics. Maybe Geography or Meteorology? In any case, best of luck.

Jacksa71

Earned my degree in 2 years (3-4 class a term) while active. BA in Aeronautics and applied/accepted at 30. I was an Aviation mechanic as well and knew I would be staying in aviation when I got out which is why I choose that degree. Also, Embry-Riddle gave me a lot credits from the military. Honestly, I could’ve done 1.5 years but the boards were spread out and I didn’t need to kill myself towards the end.

Montibank

I just read that if I served they will take 36 months off of the age limit, which would make me eligible for ROTC at 25, should I just do ROTC instead?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I just read that if I served they will take 36 months off of the age limit, which would make me eligible for ROTC at 25, should I just do ROTC instead?
No…ROTC is really for traditional college kids.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
GPA seems a little low for ROTC, although maybe they’re desperate. OCS gives you control over your designator choices, too.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I wasn’t an OCS guy, but if that’s the route you’re going to likely be going I’d talk to a recruiter now to get a good lay down on GPA, requirements, degree recommendations, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No…ROTC is really for traditional college kids.

Eh, our unit was easily 30% prior enlisted.

@Montibank ROTC may not be "the" answer, but if you want to make an informed decision, go to the unit there and ask to talk to one of the instructors. Usually the freshman class advisor is also the Accessions Officer and can discuss if it's an option. You will have to earn a scholarship and will be competing against everyone else in the country.

OCS may still be the answer, but at least you'll have a better idea of your options.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Eh, our unit was easily 30% prior enlisted.

@Montibank ROTC may not be "the" answer, but if you want to make an informed decision, go to the unit there and ask to talk to one of the instructors. Usually the freshman class advisor is also the Accessions Officer and can discuss if it's an option. You will have to earn a scholarship and will be competing against everyone else in the country.

OCS may still be the answer, but at least you'll have a better idea of your options.
Prior enlisted as in DD-214 out or folks in MCEP and the navy equivalent?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Prior enlisted as in DD-214 out or folks in MCEP and the navy equivalent?

All of the above. A typical graduating class for my unit would have 1-2 MIDNs with -214s, 1-2 ECP (or whatever that's called now), 2-6 straight-stick MIDN (total for both Navy or Marine option), and then the MECPS (1-4, depending on if it's the winter or spring semester).

That said, I think nowadays what would have been a STA-21 -214 guy in the past now stays on active duty as well, but I may have that wrong. But still, non-active priors were a thing back then.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
All of the above. A typical graduating class for my unit would have 1-2 MIDNs with -214s, 1-2 ECP (or whatever that's called now), 2-6 straight-stick MIDN (total for both Navy or Marine option), and then the MECPS (1-4, depending on if it's the winter or spring semester).

That said, I think nowadays what would have been a STA-21 -214 guy in the past now stays on active duty as well, but I may have that wrong. But still, non-active priors were a thing back then.
Times are a changing!