• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

number9

Contributor
That's pretty cool, thanks for posting! My other comment about uniforms was that service dress khakis actually look pretty good.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I liked Flight of the Intruder as a kid, and re-watched it over the weekend.

From a naval aviation perspective, how accurate was it? Carrier life, flight ops, etc.? And perhaps most importantly of all: what's with the camo pattern that LCDR Cole was wearing?!
Mid 60's saw crews - both fixed wing and helo - adopt locally acquired (made in PI) flight suits or fatigues in Tiger Stripe patterns. Some were made onboard ship by PR's

Helo (SH-3A)

tigersuit-01.jpg

and

Adm Stockdale - stepping out of what I assume is an A-4

stockdalepilot.jpg

show-photo.jpg

Then LTJG Clyde Lassen, wearing sateen OD107 fatigues during SAR mission over North Vietnam where as a HAC flying the HH-2C with HC-7, was awarded the MOH for valor.

636198237580347890-LASSEN-IN-HELO.jpg

Sidenote: In Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm, a general order was published allowing Navy aircrews to wear standard two-piece "chocolate chip" desert camo cotton BDU in lieu of green flight suit. Generally worn by A-6 and A-7 crews from what I saw on Saratoga and America. Tucked in.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
The other thing I was wondering: is it normal to not wear any ribbons at all in khakis? I think there were a few scenes where CDR Camparelli didn't have anything on his chest... but maybe the rules don't apply to 3rd generation mafia ;)

And at the court martial, the JAG CAPT only had two rows. If he was only wearing the top 3 I'd understand, but two rows?!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The other thing I was wondering: is it normal to not wear any ribbons at all in khakis? I think there were a few scenes where CDR Camparelli didn't have anything on his chest... but maybe the rules don't apply to 3rd generation mafia ;)

And at the court martial, the JAG CAPT only had two rows. If he was only wearing the top 3 I'd understand, but two rows?!
Ribbons aren’t typically worn at sea. Two rows of ribbons is quite ordinary for a career officer in the 1960’s and 70’s time frame.

number9

Contributor
Ribbons aren’t typically worn at sea. Two rows of ribbons is quite ordinary for a career officer in the 1960’s and 70’s time frame.
Thank you! I guess I forgot the JAG probably would have commissioned as a LTJG (as they do today), so that's a chunk of time where he wouldn't have earned anything compared to someone who came in as an ENS.

Last edited: