• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP, Aviation and PRK

foleyswole85

Hello,

I've recently heard about BDCP and am quite interested in it. I've been carefully studying all the possible routes to get the wings of gold. However, I feel like I'm in a catch 22 with this program. When I sign my commitment to the Navy I want to sign as an aviation candidate so I know I'll have a fair shot at flight school from the beginning. Obviously I can't do that without getting my vision squared away. I have about 2 years of college left so I have the time for the surgery but money is a little tuffer. If I could get into BDCP and use some of that money to pay for the surgery that would be perfect. But how do I get into BDCP as an Aviation candidate without having good eyesight? I realize that by taking all that BDCP money from the Navy you are creating a commitment to them but do they wait until you graduate to determine what you will do for the Navy?

Thanks a lot,

Brad

nugget81

pilot
Finance the eye surgery and pay it back with the money from BDCP. Or save some money up and pay for it out of pocket and pay yourself back once you get into BDCP. When you apply to BDCP, you apply for a specific job (i.e., Pilot, NFO, Supply, etc.) As such, you must be qualified for the position (good eye sight and all) or they won't let you keep the position. You'll know what job you'll be getting before you sign your life away.

If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to get it.

foleyswole85

Thats the answer I was looking for, thanks nugget. I have already been to MEPS and I know I have to apply for a PRK waiver 6 months after surgery. Is there anything else I need to do medically to apply for pilot? I've heard that you get your first flight physical down at Pensacola, then I've also heard you get it when you go to OCS; which is true?

Also, should I establish communications with a recruiter right away or wait til I get all my stuff squared away? I don't want to waste his time if I'm not in my prime from the beginning, but if its in my best interest to get the ball rolling I will.

Thanks,

Brad

GAG-E

Hey, I'm in a similar situation. Unlike you, however, I have not gone through MEPS. I don't wanna go through until I'm flight qualified vision--wise, but I'm not sure what the right thing to do is for this kinda thing. What did your OR say?

foleyswole85

Well I went to MEPS while applying for USMC PLC but my class filled up before I completed my app. Now I'm trying to do Navy. It seems like you have to go to MEPS twice anyway, once to apply and another right before shipping out. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to go a third time just to do the stupid vision and depth perception tests that many people fail regardless of their vision quality... I'm going to talk to the Navy Officer Recruiter, tell her my story and see what she recommends. Maybe she'll let me take the ASTB and fill out the paperwork and help me obtain a PRK waiver 6 months post op.

I still would like to know if you go down to Pensacola during the application phase for your first flight physical or if you get it at OCS.

Thanks,

Brad