• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP and EOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

_817stops

star_125.gif
Sorry my thread isn't about aviation...this is the only site I found that held information about BDCP.

Could I become an EOD technician through BDCP? What are the requirements for EOD? I'm currently in my sophomore year of college majoring in eletrcial engineering and holding a GPA of 3.7. Would I be considered competitive for BDCP much less EOD? When would be the best time to apply?

Sorry for all the questions...I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
goldfish_125.gif

Kycntryboy

pilot
Well I'm not sure exactly what the crap an EOD technician is, but a 3.7 in electrical engineering sounds quite good for the competiveness in this program. Granted GPA isn't all they look for, they are more apt to look at the all-around canidate, so as long as your not just a pencil pusher you'll be fine. Also as far as I understand... which granted probably isn't very much, BDCP pay is available for any type of officer position in the Navy. So if there is a position for what you want to do go talk to a officer recruiter, but not just a regular recruiter. If you want to do the BDCP you should probably hurry up though, because a) you have a technical degree which would allow to get up to 30 months pay at E-3 status, b) the two year people are getting ready to submit their applications, and c) this
censored_125.gif
takes for.....ever to finish. So I would do it, Go on to the Navy.com site and see what type of officer position are available. ...my .02
bigmouth_125.gif

_817stops

Thanks for the reply man. I'll make sure to get right on it.
shades_125.gif

Btw- Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is the task of rendering safe and disposing of any explosive material.
-from Navy.com

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Another reason to get right on it is because EOD is a small community, you want to grab one of those slots for your fiscal year (depending on when you're set to graduate).

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
when i was in nrotc, my rotc recruiter told me that the chances of getting a slot for EOD is almost as hard as SEAL for officers. and DAMN!!! 3.7-EE, you're freakin' nuts! i know some ppl dying from statics right now :)

_817stops

Are officer EOD slots a "first come first serve" deal? Or are they just given to those with the best stats?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
A little of both. If you have two people with the exact same qualifications, the person who applied first will get it. In fact, I think that's the way it is for all slots. Why else do you think surface nuke fills up years in advance for that Fiscal year, and subs are still open?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
EOD slots are hard to come by for officers. First of all you would be applying for an 1140 billet. The 1140 is a Special Operations Officer. It is more than just EOD. The only true EOD officers are prior enlisted techs that got picked up as LDO's. These LDO's will stay in the EOD community and not do any of the other BS associated with 1140's. SpecOp officers will do time on a mine sweeper in armories etc, etc. Anyway, you would need to contact the Special Operations Community Manager. He is the guy who decides who gets the few slots a year for OCS/BDCP as well as ROTC and the Academy. There are only a few, I think like 6 or so per year for OCS/BDCP. You'd have to ask the Community manager what the slots look like for whatever year you are going to graduate. Well this post could go on for a while. If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

Dave

krocdawg

Limited Duty Officer
My old man was EOD, and most of those guys without any prior experience get the 1140 deginator, go to combat diver school, then serve on a dive and salvage ship before they report to EOD school at Eglin.

Status
Not open for further replies.