• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Base Housing for Brown Baggers.

eurotrash

USMC SNA
Just some FYI, I was checking out of Quantico base housing yesterday and the lady was telling me that they haven't been able to keep company grade officer housing filled. So, more than likely if you are looking to get a house on base here while at TBS it's fairly easy right now.

The housing here is great, no complaints on my end. Most of the units are brand new, and the ones that aren't are renovated historic townhomes. Good luck.

Quantico Housing: 703-432-8500

joemcspeed

Thanks for the info. I would not have guessed that. Im just trying to decide between living in G-ville and pocket a couple hundos a month or live relatively hassle free on base. How long was it taking you to get to work AND find a parking spot?

hey euro, saw you are pre IFS I did the 141 flight school out in manassas where you all go, they have some cool instructors out there, when do you start?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info. I would not have guessed that. Im just trying to decide between living in G-ville and pocket a couple hundos a month or live relatively hassle free on base. How long was it taking you to get to work AND find a parking spot?

Mainside housing is actually pretty far from Camp Barrett compared to Stafford. Most of us live in Townhouses and apartments in Stafford. There was much rejoicing when they moved the gate time to 0400 every week day. As far as parking; just get over it really fast...You'll be parking in the back of LZ 7 or the parade deck except for the few occasions when you win the lottery. Stafford to parking in the morning 9 to 12 minutes. Mainside to parking at least 15 minutes, especially when the side gate by the PX isn't open.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...except for the few occasions when you win the lottery...

I think me finding a spot right in front of O'Bannon 3 days in a row is as good as it will ever get. I just had to park on the grass at the far end of the parade deck....:icon_rage

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I think me finding a spot right in front of O'Bannon 3 days in a row is as good as it will ever get. I just had to park on the grass at the far end of the parade deck....:icon_rage

S-4 is on their way out right now to give you a ticket. Since you can't beat them out there, just right your reponse to counseling now on following orders. Write another one on integrity just for the hell of it. Due ODT tomorrow.

joemcspeed

Thanks for the gouge... Looks like I'll be staying out in G-ville and keeping some cash... That is when someone lights a fire under NAMI's arse, and I get some orders. I graduated OCS Aug 9th and still no commission. OK ok sorry about the vent.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
S-4 is on their way out right now to give you a ticket. Since you can't beat them out there, just right your reponse to counseling now on following orders. Write another one on integrity just for the hell of it. Due ODT tomorrow.

Right on. Just read your response and had to go back and reread what I wrote and realize i'm a douche. :eek:

I was concentrating too much on the room mates playing COD4 and not what I was typing. I parked on the concrete. Should have said by the grass. Didnt mean on it. Although, there were several cars on the grass but I got a legit spot. Half my platoon got tickets the other day for doing just that. From what I understand, they dont mess around here about parking/speeding.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Right on. Just read your response and had to go back and reread what I wrote and realize i'm a douche. :eek:

I was concentrating too much on the room mates playing COD4 and not what I was typing. I parked on the concrete. Should have said by the grass. Didnt mean on it. Although, there were several cars on the grass but I got a legit spot. Half my platoon got tickets the other day for doing just that. From what I understand, they dont mess around here about parking/speeding.

That's okay. You get a response to counseling for attention to detail. Words mean things! If I had a dime for every time I heard someone get told that.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Base housing is definitely the way to go if you have a family/ kids, etc. Living close (Stafford) is convenient for the commute most mornings, but if keeping your wife and kids happy is paramount, then I say go for the base housing. I've never heard of TBS Lts getting base housing, take advantage of that!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
One time...I dated this "brown bagger" once...holy cow, I was desperate...I can't imagine putting them in base housing though...Oh wait...I don't think that's what you meant.

Never mind. hehe

eurotrash

USMC SNA
Mainside housing is actually pretty far from Camp Barrett compared to Stafford. Most of us live in Townhouses and apartments in Stafford. There was much rejoicing when they moved the gate time to 0400 every week day. As far as parking; just get over it really fast...You'll be parking in the back of LZ 7 or the parade deck except for the few occasions when you win the lottery. Stafford to parking in the morning 9 to 12 minutes. Mainside to parking at least 15 minutes, especially when the side gate by the PX isn't open.

Pros to living on base: Have your own HOUSE with no bills to worry about, no pet deposit or pet rent, fenced in backyard, the ease of having all the base amenities at your fingertips, when you are on a FEX you don't have to worry about a peeping tom spying on your wife like my buddy did, no playing "is the Onville gate open" game, or the "oh shit four companies and their staff just got secured at the same time and all want to go out the Onville gate" game.

Cons: You add 15 minutes to your traffic free commute, but it's really no big deal.

In all reality, if you are willing to squeeze into a one bedroom apartment in stafford...yeah, you can pocket a couple bucks. But if you and your wife have a lot of shit, or even a good amount of shit, you will be almost breaking even on BAH with a two bedroom anything and the utilities.

Just some gouge for your TBS tool box, the decision is yours.

-Euro

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
In all reality, if you are willing to squeeze into a one bedroom apartment in stafford...yeah, you can pocket a couple bucks. But if you and your wife have a lot of shit, or even a good amount of shit, you will be almost breaking even on BAH with a two bedroom anything and the utilities.

Just some gouge for your TBS tool box, the decision is yours.

-Euro

The wife and I got a 2 bedroom/2bath apartment at Aquia Terrace in Stafford for $999 a month. And when I go home, I'm not still at work. :)