• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BAH and the Reserve forces

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Random question. I was looking at my LES today and noticed something. In the BAQ type box it listed "MBRTMBR". I assume this means 'Member to member' as my husband is AD. While I know that I don't get any BAH during my regular drill weekends, what about when I get sent on orders for longer than a DWE such as my yearly 2 week AT time? I was under the impression that during such time you earned BAH in the same pro-rated fashion as base pay. My husband seems to think that because he is a service member that I won't be eligible for BAH because he will already be earning it (well, sort of since we live in base housing on his orders). So really, for myself and future reserve officers here it is two questions:

1. Do you get BAH when you are on your yearly '2 week' orders?
2. If yes, does that change in any way, shape, or form if your 'dependent' is also a military member?

Thanks!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you were both AD: -Married, no kids, each get single BAH rate (subject to situations where one or the other would lose BAH, such as if two enlisted servicemmebers were married w/o children and one got sent to OCS, the member in OCS does not collect BAH. I don't know if base housing takes both servicemembers' BAH, that would be one hell of an expensive rental if they did).
-Married, with kids, one gets BAH w/ dependants, one gets single BAH rate. Some exceptions apply.

I have no idea how the reserves work.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have no idea how the reserves work.

Sooo, why post?

Penguin...while on any kind of orders for less than 30 days (it might be worded 30 days or less, I can never remember), you'll receive something akin to BAH2. This is some lesser amount of normal BAH for your paygrade. If you're on orders longer than 30 days, you'll receive full, regular BAH (depending on how you've set it up if you have kids).

This applies to AT, ADT, ADSW. You won't get AT for more than 29 days, so the only real opportunity to get the full BAH is on ADT or ADSW (or getting MOBed).

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thanks! I'll keep digging to see if the mil-mil issue causes problems since he is *technically* not a dependent and we don't have kids. That does, however, answer the question regarding how the reserve side handles bah in general.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing it won't matter if you don't have kids. You're entitled to your single BAH (or whatever bastard version you get as a SELRES) and he's entitled to his single BAH. But I would double check to make sure there isn't a pay glitch.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Hmm...now I'm worried he is getting overpaid. He is still getting his BAH at the w/dependent rate. Oh boy, time to start looking into this. Stupid confusing questions resulting in more questions. grr.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, I misunderstood your question. Yes, I would definitely go pursue this with PSD. Chances are the NOSC will be of little help...but you may want to at least ask them the question first.

Devil Duck

Old thread. In any event:
- ADT of 29 days or less the member is paid BAH at the RC/T rate. Slide 4
- AT/ADT 30 days or more the member is paid BAH for the home of record in NSIPS

Unless you are on orders over 29 days there should be no effect on your husband's BAH w/dependents. 30 days or more, you would both need to see PSD with a copy of your orders. As always, confirm with the regulation, then see PSD. Don't assume PSD will get it right.