• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bags at ECRC?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Why wait for two miles?

tenor.gif

bluemarlin04

Went through in 2008 and a guy showed up in a flight suit and was turned away and told come back in Khakis.

Then some third class reservist (don't know if he was trolling or dumb) showed up in his PT Sweats and when asked replied that it wasn't on the unauthorized list. lol.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, out of the big group this week (60+) at ECRC, one dude in khakis and a couple in blueberries, everyone else was in guacs. Staff is on a “correct uniform deficiencies” tear, so I guess it’s just as well I brought my guacs. Otherwise it’s like eating a bunch of caramel before going to the dentist: you’ll still get done what you went there to do, but it’s going to take longer and be a lot more of a hassle than needs be.

-BT-

One nugget that came up this week, from the ECRC skipper: there’s apparently a move afoot to re-establish at least some of the defunct NMPS locations, like San Diego and Gulfport. Reason he gave was Big Navy wants to rebuild its capacity for mass wartime mobilization. I don’t know how far along this notion is, but I thought it was interesting.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One nugget that came up this week, from the ECRC skipper: there’s apparently a move afoot to re-establish at least some of the defunct NMPS locations, like San Diego and Gulfport. Reason he gave was Big Navy wants to rebuild its capacity for mass wartime mobilization. I don’t know how far along this notion is, but I thought it was interesting.

I went through Gulfport coming and going my first rodeo in the reserves, it was a clusterfuck both times. One small thing I noticed that was indicative how poorly run they were was the fact I never saw the OIC or AOIC either time, we didn't even see anyone above the rank of E-6 when we went through coming home. After having come home from a year overseas the least you can do is welcome home those whose entire existence your command is supposed to be there for instead of having an E-5 say "Whoa, we were expecting you tomorrow" then having to wait over the weekend for them to get their act together.

It was a small operation that didn't run well at all and had a lot of issues, few of which I encountered at ECRC which was a smooth and well-run machine compared to the utter waste that Gulfport was.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Not sure it will fix the broken ECRC detailing system. I LIVED in SAN DIEGO, and they sent me to NORFOLK for ECRC. It certainly would have been nice to be home during the wasted week of sitting around. I believe ECRC is really set up to handle RC IAs. Most AC IAs had all their shit complete prior to showing up to ECRC....thus being a waste of time.

bluemarlin04

Best NMPS I went too after Iraq was Pt Mugu. I was in heaven. I was young and single and just came home after 13 months. The staff there didn’t care and let me do whatever I wanted. It was basically a week long vacation on the central coasst

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe ECRC is really set up to handle RC IAs. Most AC IAs had all their shit complete prior to showing up to ECRC....thus being a waste of time.

Don't worry, they wasted the RC people's time, too. I had an AWR sit over there for three days (fortunately in San Diego, at the time) before she could see the "right" person to sign off her last check box so she could then go across the bridge to actually do her job.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't worry, they wasted the RC people's time, too. I had an AWR sit over there for three days (fortunately in San Diego, at the time) before she could see the "right" person to sign off her last check box so she could then go across the bridge to actually do her job.

The last time I went to ECRC they crammed about 2 days of work, and that is being generous, into 5 days. Not the best system but not the worst either, the Army-run combat training wasted far more time for far longer.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
At least my orders were via NMPS Norfolk when I was stationed at Little Creek and I lived in Virginia Beach (in '07). That took a lot of the edge off of those two days of work that were crammed into five.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was a small operation that didn't run well at all and had a lot of issues, few of which I encountered at ECRC which was a smooth and well-run machine compared to the utter waste that Gulfport was.
Not sure it will fix the broken ECRC detailing system. I LIVED in SAN DIEGO, and they sent me to NORFOLK for ECRC. It certainly would have been nice to be home during the wasted week of sitting around. I believe ECRC is really set up to handle RC IAs. Most AC IAs had all their shit complete prior to showing up to ECRC....thus being a waste of time.

I went through NMPS San Diego for my AC IA in '07 and it was a day and half of work crammed into 5, but as Naval sins go, that's hardly unique. I was stationed in Pensacola at the time, and while I'll never complain about an easygoing week in the Whale's Vagina on per diem, it was kind of a waste of USG money, considering I could've almost commuted to Gulfport.

Having gone through this process once as AC, three Mobs, and one ADSW, my general impression is, if you show up with your shit wired and for something they're prepared to do (ie, Afghanistan, HOA, Tampastan), it's all on rails and you'll be stamped and cleared out the door with a minimum of pain. If you show up waiting to be told what to do, or if you're a Special Case, be prepared for the big hurt. This isn't my first rodeo so I was able to dodge some wrenches, but even so there were a couple AYFKM moments. I will say that the process has gotten better since my first RC mob in '13 and light years better than '07.

But I think all this kind of speaks to the Skipper's point. ECRC is wired to do one thing: get the lowest-common-denominator RC dude ready to go downrange, and they've got good at that. But if the Chinese invade Honolulu next week or some damn thing, and we're mobilizing everybody - this-is-no-shit, all-hands-to-battlestations - there's zero excess capacity the way things are now. So re-gen'ing the other NMPS sites makes, I think, a certain amount of good sense.

Then again, I'm also a couple of Maker's deep, so I'm inclined to be philosophical.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love how we all go through the “readiness” pain train every year, when it all has to be re-verified at ECRC pre-mob anyway. Apparently, the terrorists win if every RC IA doesn’t literally take three physicals first. How much risk are we really buying down in a mass mobilization by putting this extra wicket in the process?