• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Back Injury

Chris94

CWO selected
I'm looking to apply for PLC (flight) and I'm worried that a history of back injuries could stand in my way. I'm perfectly okay and healed up now, but a little over a year ago I herniated my disc and it took about a year to get over the injury. My OSO told me to get a waiver from my doctor (which I'm going to do), should I also speak to a military flight doctor? Anyone know how to get ahold of one?
Thanks!

Renegade One

None
A history of back injuries could stand in your way. Unless you can work a "buddy connection" and somehow hook up with a Flight Doc, I'd think the only sure way of seeing one would be to start the process and there'll be a military physical exam in there somewhere. Good luck.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I herniated two discs as a rescue swimmer and ultimately had a discectomy at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (1990). Had a great recovery and have been asymptomatic ever since. I ultimately received a permanent waiver and even flew in an ejection seat A/C (S-3B) post surgery. The key is to show that post-surgery you are asymptomatic with no neurological damage or limitations. I realize my data is dated, but back injury/surgery is waiverable. PM for any other questions you may have . . .

HeloFinch

pilot
Had a broken back (T-12 compression fx) as a plebe at USNA, no nerve damage or surgery required. Got a waiver leading up to the commissioning/service selection process that was contingent on my remaining asymptomatic. Had no issues going through flight school or with two tours flying H-60s. There will need to be a waiver process, and my best advice is to start early.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I am glad to see the various success stories here. In my case it was the opposite. A rather non-serious (in my view) back injury took me out of the cockpit and BUMED made sure I never back in (military at least).

Chris94

CWO selected
I herniated two discs as a rescue swimmer and ultimately had a discectomy at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (1990). Had a great recovery and have been asymptomatic ever since. I ultimately received a permanent waiver and even flew in an ejection seat A/C (S-3B) post surgery. The key is to show that post-surgery you are asymptomatic with no neurological damage or limitations. I realize my data is dated, but back injury/surgery is waiverable. PM for any other questions you may have . . .
I have a buddy in Pcola right now who got completely DQ'd for a herniated disc about a year ago. I herniated mine 5 years ago and got a waiver for OCS which I'd assume be good for flight school as well. I'm just paranoid that when I get to Florida they're gonna screw me...

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I have a buddy in Pcola right now who got completely DQ'd for a herniated disc about a year ago. I herniated mine 5 years ago and got a waiver for OCS which I'd assume be good for flight school as well. I'm just paranoid that when I get to Florida they're gonna screw me...

I guess just bring your waiver paper with you to all appointments with NAMI and the flight docs. You’d want a folder anyway for paperwork they give you, so just put it in there to be safe. I had height issues with anthro (That I lost the battle to) so I’m familiar with being paranoid about the outcome. Best of luck.

jsnchwen

Just checking in to ask if you encountered any difficulty with your waiver down in Pcola

I'm asking because I recently herniated my disc and want to see if others had any success with getting a waiver and a pilot slot

HuggyU2

None
These injuries happened as a civilian? And now you're totally healed up?

I guess my question is "why would you tell the military anything?"

jsnchwen

These injuries happened as a civilian? And now you're totally healed up?

I guess my question is "why would you tell the military anything?"
Not sure if you're responding to me, but..

Yes, this happened as a civilian and I'm as a good as I was before (no limits in strength/range of motion); working out the same as I was before (crossfit/rowing)

I got an MRI and went to the doctor, so I'm assuming the records will be pulled by genesis