• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation in the Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Dog

Does anyone know if you can be an aviator going directly into the reserves? I know to be an aviator in the naval reserves you must have been an aviator on active duty for your term. What about the Marines and Air Force? If anyone knows I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You can join the Air National Guard and fly. Basically, a subset of the USAF but normally empowered by the govenor of the state but can be used to augment DoD actions. For example, the first bombs dropped at Kandahar and Tora Bora were from F-16's of the Texas Air National Guard. Air National Guard is a completely different entity from the USAF reserves in peace time. I will admit my knowledge is limited in regards to this topic and would suggest you visit your states ANG web site or call them directly for more information. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

tnutz

from what i've heard, it's possible, but very tough. the air guard, like any other organization, likes to hire from within. on the other side of it, if you're not already with the unit, the competition is tough with airline guys looking for a part-time job... give it a shot though. a buddy of mine applied to units all over the country. that is one distinction from active, the unit decides if they want you or have openings, not the Navy or the Air Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.