• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation advice for applying for OCS

I've been on this site for a month or so getting information as I start my application process for OCS and prepare for the ASTB, and I think it's finally time for me to post. Quick intro before I get to my questions... senior at a top-50 liberal arts college with a 3.4 in Philosophy, worked as an RA, played 4 years of high school soccer and am now the club soccer captain.

My resume is good, but there's nothing I bring to the table that makes me a standout. My friend who had a similar resume is now at Pcola in flight school and swears that having a ppl is what ultimately got him in the Navy. The overwhelming impression I've gotten from this site is that a ppl hardly helps for OCS selection. I'm a couple hours into a ppl and it's a blast, but if it's giving me no advantage for an SNA slot it's not worth all the money. Also, I could spend this time studying for the ASTB. Maybe someone who entered with no prior flight time could comment on this? Will something like the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests book prepare me enough for the aviation-related aspects of the ASTB? Please don't cuss me out for asking a ppl-related question...

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
BLUF: does a PPL affect OCS SNA selection?
PPL may sometimes be used as a tiebreaker, but you're gonna get a lot more bang for your buck studying for the ASTB. Flight time's a lot more expensive than picking up a study guide. If you get a PPL and an average ASTB, they're not gonna be impressed, especially if it's a competitive board. But I knew a lot of guys with no prior flight time and non-STEM degrees that killed the ASTB and got picked up. The Navy's gonna teach you how to fly anyway, so focus on studying first. If you do well on the ASTB, if you love flying, and if you have some money to spare, then you can pursue the PPL if you still want. But don't go for it just to improve your application, it's fairly low on the totem pole.
I'll leave it to the more recent test-takers to chime in on what helped them, it's changed quite a bit since I took it.
Oh by the way, welcome to AirWarriors.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A PPL isn't really worth the money, if you're doing it strictly to improve your chances for a flight spot. It's not like the Navy looks at an applicant and says, "ooh, this guy already knows how to fly, we should totally take him". Nor does it particularly help during flight training.

If you just want it to get one, and money's not a problem, sure go ahead. But there's plenty of other stuff you can do that looks as good or better on an application at a fraction of the cost. Volunteerism, leadership, etc.